Estuary

Started by Dune, July 13, 2018, 01:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Some new work I can share (to keep you guys busy); a series of landscapes from the same POV, but different era's. Low-res WIP's. No lake object used, it's all one layer. Don't hesitate to comment.

WAS

Very interesting work. Like the second image a lot. I suppose to the purples and such are flower blooms? Love the water depth transitions with the flow of the landscape.

mhaze

Fantastic work - the second image is great!

bobbystahr

"No lake object used, it's all one layer."
Surely you jest, I counted at least 3 surface layers....but brilliant work. Dunno how you wrap your brain around a network like that but you have my unbridled admiration.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DocCharly65

Bobby is so right! In the tangle of nodes I would be totally lost!

But nice results :)

Oshyan

Second one is fantastic. Because I'm too lazy to work my way through your node network image, how are the branching water patterns done? Hand-drawn mask or erosion plugin?

- Oshyan

Hannes

Wow!!!! That second image is really fantastic! But that node stuff is intimidating...

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on July 13, 2018, 05:13:09 PM
Wow!!!! That second image is really fantastic! But that node stuff is intimidating...

Glad I'm not the only one who gets the blues from the Blues....maybe someday I'll have an epiphany re: blue nodes but it ain't happened yet.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

At first I thought it would be easy to make an image like this, but the more I wanted to detail, the more nodes were necessary, and they all interfere with eachother. So, I got lost sometimes, and wanted no distraction to figure out how to get something done without losing something else. It could well be done simpler, but, hey, it grew this way...  :P
Btw. Bobby, with layers I mean 'physical' layers, like a lake and a planet. This is all one planet, but yes, with quite some surfaces. The blue nodes are just add and subtract or multiply blues to combine masks, nothing difficult.
The main shapes are drawn maps. I've been thinking to do this by subtle erosion, but then I'd need to paint a heightfield first (0-6m max). I might still try that, just to learn.
Yes, purples and lighter grey-greens are certain (flowering) plant species.

Dune

Update, and a screendump of how I adjust my streams/creeks. I simplified my network a bit and used one water/creeklayer instead of two, with the water pure white and the mud soft off-white. Final adjustments can thus be made in TG.

bobbystahr

very cool, I think I finally grokked this.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65

Very nice, Ulco. But I anyway like both versions and just interprete them as high tide (Fase-3-(10).jpg)  and low tide (Fase-3-(12).jpg)

Dune

In fact it wouldn't be too hard to animate tide, even if it's all one layer.