Estuary

Started by Dune, July 13, 2018, 01:31:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Put this on the tv for maximum magnification. Pretty pretty pretty! I have to figure out if I can download an image and make some screensavers or a slide show....heh heh

Dune

No. 4 in this series; marshlands, and bogs growing, around 1000-1500 BC, same area and POV. WIP.

René

Impressive how you manage to make a flat landscape still interesting.

Dune

I was lucky that the creek is there (officially present in that era), otherwise it would have been a lot duller. I needed to use the same POV.

DocCharly65

Echo what René says!

A little suggestion/question/wish:
Could it be that all tree-covered areas could look a bit more natural if there was some undergrowth and groundcover? I think where trees are, there must be some lost rotten branches, bushes and so on.

Dune

You're right, Nils. I have been planning some extras in this one, but good that you reminded me not to forget it  ;)

luvsmuzik

Your new website is quite nice! Animations load great on my mini tablet, so that is awesome. 360 views all function too! Good job!

I was also wondering about the density of the vegetation, looked a little sparse for your norm. I am sure you will soon have it up to snuff. ;D

Dune

Thanks Luvs. I don't like working from templates and all, but as Flash is not working properly any longer, I had to. These templates are all a bit similar and I don't like being dependent and not being able to adjust all myself, but it's functional, also on phones. I do like that.

Dune

So the footage of the river breaking through WAS found (https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25476.0.html) gave me some ideas about wave patterns. Sculpted a set in mudbox, made a 2028px VDISP map out of it, and inserted in the setup I had made earlier (can't find that thread right now). Needs refinement though, but it works quite nicely. And it's not quite correct yet.

bobbystahr

good stuff, quite convincing...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: Dune on September 01, 2018, 01:50:50 am
So the footage of the river breaking through WAS found (https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25476.0.html) gave me some ideas about wave patterns. Sculpted a set in mudbox, made a 2028px VDISP map out of it, and inserted in the setup I had made earlier (can't find that thread right now). Needs refinement though, but it works quite nicely. And it's not quite correct yet.


Whoa, that's actually a really god start! Is this what you meant by mixing deafult and water?

I've really been wanting to do as estuary/wetlands/tundra like scene but man I find it hard making rivers that I like. Mind letting me in on any tips?
Check out the Terragen Community on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Terragen.Galleries/

Dune

No, this just plain water shader and foam.
I made the rivers by making a sloping area (distance shader unclamped), added some displacement and let Daniil's plugin loose on that with some river settings I don't know by heart. The flow map I illuminated in a surface shader, and ortho rendered (without any lights) the area for a map to export and import as 8-bit greyscale tif.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on September 01, 2018, 11:21:52 am
No, this just plain water shader and foam.
I made the rivers by making a sloping area (distance shader unclamped), added some displacement and let Daniil's plugin loose on that with some river settings I don't know by heart. The flow map I illuminated in a surface shader, and ortho rendered (without any lights) the area for a map to export and import as 8-bit greyscale tif.


Was the exporting/importing so you could scale the river map as needed and apply to other terrain? Sorry to go off-topic. Just really interested in getting some usable results. I won't be able to ortho any maps (free ver) so why I'm curious.
Check out the Terragen Community on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Terragen.Galleries/

Dune

Yes, and I don't think it can be done directly, because I had to slope the slope quite considerable to get nice flows. You can point a camera down, same as ortho.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on September 01, 2018, 01:35:09 pm
Yes, and I don't think it can be done directly, because I had to slope the slope quite considerable to get nice flows. You can point a camera down, same as ortho.


That makes sense. I wonder if the new map exporting will help me since i don't have ortho.
Check out the Terragen Community on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Terragen.Galleries/