Author Topic: Estuary  (Read 1473 times)

Offline luvsmuzik

• luvsmuzik 1995
Re: Estuary
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »
Put this on the tv for maximum magnification. Pretty pretty pretty! I have to figure out if I can download an image and make some screensavers or a slide show....heh heh

Offline Dune

• www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 12:23:01 PM »
No. 4 in this series; marshlands, and bogs growing, around 1000-1500 BC, same area and POV. WIP.

Offline René

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 11:25:43 AM »
Impressive how you manage to make a flat landscape still interesting.

Offline Dune

• www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 11:44:49 AM »
I was lucky that the creek is there (officially present in that era), otherwise it would have been a lot duller. I needed to use the same POV.

Offline DocCharly65

• May the farce be with you...
    • Doc Charly on YouTube
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2018, 02:53:13 PM »
Echo what René says!

A little suggestion/question/wish:
Could it be that all tree-covered areas could look a bit more natural if there was some undergrowth and groundcover? I think where trees are, there must be some lost rotten branches, bushes and so on.

Offline Dune

• www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 06:09:53 AM »
You're right, Nils. I have been planning some extras in this one, but good that you reminded me not to forget it  ;)

Offline luvsmuzik

• luvsmuzik 1995
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 12:49:49 PM »
Your new website is quite nice! Animations load great on my mini tablet, so that is awesome. 360 views all function too! Good job!

I was also wondering about the density of the vegetation, looked a little sparse for your norm. I am sure you will soon have it up to snuff. ;D

Offline Dune

• www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 04:49:52 PM »
Thanks Luvs. I don't like working from templates and all, but as Flash is not working properly any longer, I had to. These templates are all a bit similar and I don't like being dependent and not being able to adjust all myself, but it's functional, also on phones. I do like that.

Offline Dune

• www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 05:50:50 AM »
So the footage of the river breaking through WAS found (https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25476.0.html) gave me some ideas about wave patterns. Sculpted a set in mudbox, made a 2028px VDISP map out of it, and inserted in the setup I had made earlier (can't find that thread right now). Needs refinement though, but it works quite nicely. And it's not quite correct yet.

Offline bobbystahr

• Turn, and face the Strange Ch Ch Changes...D Bowie
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 10:06:26 AM »
good stuff, quite convincing...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Offline WASasquatch

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2018, 01:47:29 PM »
So the footage of the river breaking through WAS found (https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25476.0.html) gave me some ideas about wave patterns. Sculpted a set in mudbox, made a 2028px VDISP map out of it, and inserted in the setup I had made earlier (can't find that thread right now). Needs refinement though, but it works quite nicely. And it's not quite correct yet.

Whoa, that's actually a really god start! Is this what you meant by mixing deafult and water?

I've really been wanting to do as estuary/wetlands/tundra like scene but man I find it hard making rivers that I like. Mind letting me in on any tips?

Offline Dune

• www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »
No, this just plain water shader and foam.
I made the rivers by making a sloping area (distance shader unclamped), added some displacement and let Daniil's plugin loose on that with some river settings I don't know by heart. The flow map I illuminated in a surface shader, and ortho rendered (without any lights) the area for a map to export and import as 8-bit greyscale tif.

Offline WASasquatch

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2018, 03:59:47 PM »
No, this just plain water shader and foam.
I made the rivers by making a sloping area (distance shader unclamped), added some displacement and let Daniil's plugin loose on that with some river settings I don't know by heart. The flow map I illuminated in a surface shader, and ortho rendered (without any lights) the area for a map to export and import as 8-bit greyscale tif.

Was the exporting/importing so you could scale the river map as needed and apply to other terrain? Sorry to go off-topic. Just really interested in getting some usable results. I won't be able to ortho any maps (free ver) so why I'm curious.

Offline Dune

• www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2018, 05:35:09 PM »
Yes, and I don't think it can be done directly, because I had to slope the slope quite considerable to get nice flows. You can point a camera down, same as ortho.

Offline WASasquatch

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2018, 06:40:25 PM »
Yes, and I don't think it can be done directly, because I had to slope the slope quite considerable to get nice flows. You can point a camera down, same as ortho.

That makes sense. I wonder if the new map exporting will help me since i don't have ortho.