Mr.Lampost's bushpak bush 3a
Tree 100 Blender (me) leaf PF with force displace

woodpile and tree stump from Sketchfab free vegetation scanned models

cube buried in firepit as a log
fake stone fire coals and barrier

added a lighter version as this shows up darker on my MAC devices

[attach=2]

DocCharly65

Nice Start. The scenery and ambience is already very nice. The flames need a bit work. They look a bit too much like cards.
Perhaps you can also try to add one or two bigger logs into the fire? If you try Hannes burnig wood nodes it could look interesting.

Dune

Nils is right. I wouldn't stay long around such a campfire  :P

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Dune on July 15, 2018, 02:07:38 AM
Nils is right. I wouldn't stay long around such a campfire  :P
I agree about the card objecct here. I tried to scale it up and got interference with the black masking problem, so I went with exact file specs.  IMHO the Hannes method  would do better as long as I am using a card. This setup has a use, just not in this scene. Thanks for sharing it!

luvsmuzik

Went with Hanne's masked image card object method.
Now I have an issue with the spotlight.
Atmophere samples 64, density 10.
Spotlight strength 2000
falloff 2 
Soft shadows 9
spec highlights on
glow in atmo on
Render MPD 8 AA 8

Edit
Oh ho!  I was using car head lamp settings....for my lamp

luvsmuzik

made a simple lamp for the barn  :)

Dune

Getting better and better. But what the orange stuff around the campfire on the ground? I would have made that sooty, with a soft simple shape and surface shader.

DocCharly65

Quote from: Dune on July 17, 2018, 01:39:43 AM
Getting better and better. But what the orange stuff around the campfire on the ground? I would have made that sooty, with a soft simple shape and surface shader.

Absolutely dito! ;)
Just less orange and perhaps some bigger pieces of coal or stones or something like that.

It is worthwhile to further tinker - nice progress  :)

Hannes

Looks very good. Some suggestions: the fire could be a bit larger and there should be another orange lightsource right in the center of the fire card that mimics the fire's brightness. The wood doesn't seem to be lit by the fire. Maybe a subtle small localised cloud without density shader might add some glow as well.
And the lamp is dark inside. Another lightsource inside the lamp shade might look good.

luvsmuzik

Thanks everyone. I agree on all points.
The logs are the woodpile Sketchfab scan that comes on a curved base, so I am fighting trying to cover that curve as it takes the image texture. I am combining it with Hannes's burning wood tgc now and it is looking better already. The coals definitely need some variation, similar to WASasquatch's ember pile, so I will play around with that too.

barn lamp is one of those metal goose neck, bell type, a little hard to get the brightness right at the edge, but I will keep at it. Rotation to tip the bell isn't working as i want.

luvsmuzik

Just when you think you got it......
MARBLING!
Scaled Hannes's flame card setup to 1.5 from 1.......even went in and scaled the image also, after the first render got the weird stuff......
Fine marbling everywhere except the card. Can the card not be scaled ? That was part of the problem I had with Dune's setup, it performed fine as long as original specs. Increasing scale or population of cards brought out the black mismatching.

I tried the usual, disable until it disappears, only original scale will work correctly. I was reading the old train smoke post ....Is this the glass shader and GISD issue? I did make the setup a tgo, if that means anything, but at original scale, it did not seem to. Dune's setup is still in the file, but disabled....any chance that would interfere?

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 17, 2018, 05:27:09 PM
Just when you think you got it......
MARBLING!
Scaled Hannes's flame card setup to 1.5 from 1.......even went in and scaled the image also, after the first render got the weird stuff......
Fine marbling everywhere except the card. Can the card not be scaled ? That was part of the problem I had with Dune's setup, it performed fine as long as original specs. Increasing scale or population of cards brought out the black mismatching.

I tried the usual, disable until it disappears, only original scale will work correctly. I was reading the old train smoke post ....Is this the glass shader and GISD issue? I did make the setup a tgo, if that means anything, but at original scale, it did not seem to. Dune's setup is still in the file, but disabled....any chance that would interfere?

Isn't his card a custom object (Hannes)? Could be related to base UV. If there even is any. I haven't noticed any graining in my renders, even scaling the card object. Both image and procedural. It'd be interesting to look at your atmosphere and other settings

luvsmuzik

I did a right click on Hannes's Flame setup and made it a tgo to transfer to another tgd. That did fine for probably 8 renders, then after C&C I changed the scale first only on the card and got the junk. Applied scale to image next, same junk. So.....at this point I have increased ray detail multiplier to 1, ray detail region highest 360, anythng else I can think of ......changes at scale of 1....fine and dandy. Changes at increase scale...marbling.

Atmo now at 1 and quality 64. No clouds. Sun elev 2, strength 0.5

I now have a Sun, 2 light sources and 1 spot. I wonder if limiting distance has a play.....

Marbling is not just on the people, it is on fence, bench as well, looking like a fine displacement where there is none. It is like the mask or alpha is projecting outside the card maybe?

WAS

Very interesting. Something to do with the glass shader and multiple light sources maybe? Maybe try cutting things down to just the sun and one light source? I have noticed grained with using the spotlight before if I remember correctly too.

Hannes

This is weird! My card is an OBJ with UV mapping. It can be scaled as you like. No need to change the image. I just did it.
I had some difference in the area where the card is compared to the rest, and that could be eliminated by checking "defer atmo". But this happened maybe because I had a localised cloud as well in the scene.
It's really annoying that we can't just use a regular shader with a proper transparency. This glass (or water) shader thing is a cool trick, but it makes lots of problems.