Dune's 2DFlame Card

Started by luvsmuzik, July 14, 2018, 08:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

I have about reached the end of my virtual analytical rope here.....I am going to change the light source that sits around the fire pit next and switch it to a daytime lighting version.

This may need volumetric lighting due to the reflection? That topic is left for others much smarter than me.
Thanks WASasquatch, Hannes, and Dune for your input on this. The original procedural campfire may take longer, but it seems fewer problems so far. I love the card idea and I am sure there is an answer.

Scaled down the other objects to compensate, Fire setup still at scale of 1.

luvsmuzik

Crop render
It is indeed the light source in the fire pit causing the problem! Fire scale 2

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Cool! Glad you sorted it out.

luvsmuzik

Yippee! Scaled down the light source, reflection on barrel ring is back!

Thanks bobbystahr......light master that you are. ;D

Dune

luvsmuzik

Thanks Dune!
I am so stubborn.....Okay here now, WASasquatch card trial, then Dune fix,

In the card shader....In the Surface layers Flame Density/ Color Max height, switched to 100 altitude max. So the black stuff is gone, but obvious card edge frame...Can you mask the card shape edge?

I may try this on some rock pop

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 18, 2018, 11:20:58 AM
Thanks Dune!
I am so stubborn.....Okay here now, WASasquatch card trial, then Dune fix,

In the card shader....In the Surface layers Flame Density/ Color Max height, switched to 100 altitude max. So the black stuff is gone, but obvious card edge frame...Can you mask the card shape edge?

I may try this on some rock pop

What I was doing, is masking the Max Height surface layers with a separate SSS and warping to create a "flame patch" which was working decently, but could be better if it could be flipped from X-Z to X or Z and Y.  Cause you could than actually have a stretched SSS circle shape which creates a fire shape. Just not sure how to achieve it.

luvsmuzik

Now here is WASasquatch/Dune card setup. Scale changed, did fine.

I made some sparks flying about as if a new log was just added or the wind maybe stirring things up.
I took the Flame Card Flame Density Fractal and in Colour tab, Colour Offset is -0.775
Same fractal reduced scale to 0.025  and 0.025 in minimum also.
This takes you from a nearly solid vornoi noise preview to a sparse one.

I hear you about your goal WASasquatch, somewhere I have seen a tapered SSS sort of like a trapezoid, maybe for a rocket plume or waterfall, memory eludes me just now. I will look through cloud stuff.

I want to see if bloom or burst would do something "cute" on this now. Maybe a little smoke.....we'll see. :)

WAS

I noticed it could be used as embers too. Actually  doesn't look half bad. If the luminosity is upped it'll "bloom" more and soften the edges probably.

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

luvsmuzik

And Dad said, "Okay If you have to build a bonfire, do it out by that tree stump by the well house. I don't know why you want to stay out all night taking pictures of the sky. It happens every year, last year, the year before that, the year before that.....and I'm sure it's gonna happen next year."

Notilucent sky by nethskie from the cloud library shares.
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,3691.msg112298.html#msg112298

Bloom 0.1 and Gamma 2.4 plus exposure correct out of TG.

KlausK

The flames look very good to me.
With such a bonfire the faces of the people around the fireplace should be glowing red by now ;)
Are the sparks and little pieces on a plane? They look a little bit regular distributed and rectangular in the air.
Maybe some sort of irregular mask shape on the plane? If they are on a plane, that is.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

The PF SSS on the Sparks could be shrunk a bit to constrain to the shape of the fire but looks really nice. That is a interesting sky, looks cool.