Dune's 2DFlame Card

Started by luvsmuzik, July 14, 2018, 08:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 22, 2018, 06:49:19 AM
Quote from: Dune on July 22, 2018, 02:59:54 AM
Echo Hannes. But I still think you need to do something about the bright circle of stuff on the ground. Just making it a black sooty soft SSS would already be better, IMO. Add some tiny scale pf masking an illuminated surface shader for sparks on ground perhaps.
Ha ha! okay you don't like my burnt pizza? ;D

Hahahaha

This is getting to be a great scene. Still love that sky in contrast to the campfire mood.

Dune

That's way better. I have done a campfire using elongated black stones (pop) as firewood (with illuminated glowing parts and ashy parts, through transform shader, world position)). If you sit those on a small displaced fractal (separate line) and use a compute normal with very small patch, the 'stones' will stick to all sides, like branches.

luvsmuzik

Thanks WASasquatch and Dune! This has been interesting to say the least. You two understand the complexities of the nodes and where and when to use colour adjust or another mask, a warp here, a merge there. I can only dissect your files and try to learn to see what each does. I think we started out trying to warp the fractal on the card object, to bend it like a natural flame. From that, Hannes chipped in his flame card object and advice on transparency. This render is a combination, using both card objects. I ended up masking most of Dune's card object for the sparks,but I like the result.

Here I went color crazy and added more to the noctilucent sky.  :)  Gamma correct out of program

I have stored some ideas and suggestions for later use!

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 23, 2018, 08:17:10 AM
Thanks WASasquatch and Dune! This has been interesting to say the least. You two understand the complexities of the nodes and where and when to use colour adjust or another mask, a warp here, a merge there. I can only dissect your files and try to learn to see what each does. I think we started out trying to warp the fractal on the card object, to bend it like a natural flame. From that, Hannes chipped in his flame card object and advice on transparency. This render is a combination, using both card objects. I ended up masking most of Dune's card object for the sparks,but I like the result.

Here I went color crazy and added more to the noctilucent sky.  :)  Gamma correct out of program

I have stored some ideas and suggestions for later use!

Not sure about the atmosphere in this one. Is it just me or is there some greens in the light around the fire? Also, I think the fire is starting to drift away :P

By and by, I figured out how to "Shape" my procedural flames, will be releasing a new version soon. Gotta rotate a SSS to get X/Z and Y shapes. Additionally using Hannes semi-transparency method instead of a Default Shader. It produces appropriate flames and transparency.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: WASasquatch on July 23, 2018, 02:20:25 PM

Not sure about the atmosphere in this one. Is it just me or is there some greens in the light around the fire? Also, I think the fire is starting to drift away :P

By and by, I figured out how to "Shape" my procedural flames, will be releasing a new version soon. Gotta rotate a SSS to get X/Z and Y shapes. Additionally using Hannes semi-transparency method instead of a Default Shader. It produces appropriate flames and transparency.

I think initially in your first procedual campfire, some thought the render time too long. https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24664.msg250757.html#msg250757

It just depends on what you really want to do. several of us could make 100 flame textures a day to use as an image on a card object, what with brushes and creativity. 

I am just glad for the development and sharing myself. It is fun to watch you wizards do this stuff.

Probably overdid the gamma correct, no green in glow or smoke.

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 23, 2018, 02:40:12 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on July 23, 2018, 02:20:25 PM

I think initially in your first procedual campfire, some thought the render time too long. https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24664.msg250757.html#msg250757

It just depends on what you really want to do. several of us could make 100 flame textures a day to use as an image on a card object, what with brushes and creativity. 

I am just glad for the development and sharing myself. It is fun to watch you wizards do this stuff.

Probably overdid the gamma correct, no green in glow or smoke.

I would like to see these realistic flames achieved, 100's a day. Even professional artists use stocks, even in movies if not 3D, just like what you're using. And that stock is rather low resolution, and the JPEG artifacts show up in the final render.  8).

Additionally, render time for a whole is not that much of a impact. At MPD 4 and AA 4 that's just 5 minutes with two cards... In a full scene, like yours, that time is incredible negligible compared to the whole. Especially when you're asleep or away.  I mean, that sort of logic is kinda rude, both to TG and me, since you might as well not use other stuff like glass for simple panes when you can just add a white gradient and some transparency in post with a slight blue hue or duplicate and manipulate in some reflection. As a single window will add a tiny bit to that render time... Cause in reality it's just like anything else.

luvsmuzik

...the procedural fire pit was 7 hours....no cards involved....
Depends on how volatile you are I guess.. :P

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 23, 2018, 03:08:26 PM
...the procedural fire pit was 7 hours....no cards involved....
Depends on how volatile you are I guess.. :P

That's what I mean... No cards involved, it took 7 hours? So 7:05:05 is a breaker? lol That's what I mean by that logic.

When I have a scene filled with clouds, terrain, rocks, grass, etc, that last thing I care about in render time is 5 minutes for a couple cards xD

luvsmuzik

We have been trying to smooth feathers not ruffle them......Your newest card warping is very good!  :)

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 23, 2018, 03:20:32 PM
We have been trying to smooth feathers not ruffle them......Your newest card warping is very good!  :)

Imo using a image is not smoothing feathers. It's plucking the chicken and painting feathers on. :P Like I was saying, might as well not even using a image shader and just do it in post, you can in fact get much better effects, erasing jpeg artifacts, liquid warp filter to adjust flames however you want, or warp them around the logs in the render to give them volume, etc.

I'm endeavoring for photorealistic flames with TG itself. Which is more than certainly possible. Really down to detail of PFs, warps, colors and lighting and most importantly, seeds Lol

luvsmuzik

I know, I have been doodling SSS triangle and clouds again myself. I am positive you will find a suitable solution.  :)

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 23, 2018, 03:33:04 PM
I know, I have been doodling SSS triangle and clouds again myself. I am positive you will find a suitable solution.  :)

Lots of testing seeds and scales.

Also I think I realize why that last render looks green, a lot less bloom and orange colour from the fire itself is present like in previous iterations.

inkydigit

Love the evolution of this image, I prefer the darker ones, I feel they are more realistic, also the mood here is strangely dark... like twin peaks or silent hill... or something darker... I like this a lot.
:)