Underwater scene

Started by René, July 15, 2018, 12:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

Underwater scene. Proof of concept

I finally found the time to make something I have been planning for a long time, that is an underwater scene. I have tried this in the past, but with little success. In this render I have used quite a lot of atmospheric bloom, which seems appropriate in this context. It's a proof of concept, so there's still a lot to be done. The plants and fish are props that have to be replaced later.

archonforest

pretty impressive work! Big like.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

Quote from: René on July 15, 2018, 12:39:42 PM
Underwater scene. Proof of concept

I finally found the time to make something I have been planning for a long time, that is an underwater scene. I have tried this in the past, but with little success. In this render I have used quite a lot of atmospheric bloom, which seems appropriate in this context. It's a proof of concept, so there's still a lot to be done. The plants and fish are props that have to be replaced later.

Your water debris are nice, did you use a v2 cloud? I have similar but was having issues with sizes and dispersion so disabled it for my shark render.

Really love the water "atmosphere" looks very convincing. Could possibly be more detail on the old coral. They tend to be soo jagged and full of algae blooms.

masonspappy

DocCharly65

Beautiful scene! The atmosphere will cause quite high render times - right? :)

bobbystahr

Nice one Rene, underwater scenes are right up there for unintuitive at times but always worth it...you're on the right track.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on July 15, 2018, 10:49:28 PM
Nice one Rene, underwater scenes are right up there for unintuitive at times but always worth it...you're on the right track.

I've been working with this for a bit, right now I'm focusing on the water surface (from below) and it's quite counterintuitive. Some stuff seamed rather easy and obvious in my head but TG is like "I can't do that, Dave".

Dune

That's a great start, René! The light and colors are wonderful. I'm pretty sure you know what to change, but I'll mention some things anyway that come to my mind; tiny bump holes on the corals at front, more raggedness in the rocks, and there seems to be a sharp distinction between waves and 'water' up left.
I wonder how you did the floating dirt, btw, which is really making it more real. I can imagine a few ways, but I'm just curious.

Hannes

Amazing, René! I agree with the others about some details, but this looks already fantastic. The only thing that I am missing and that would make the image even more realistic imho is some sort of color refraction. I don't know how this is called, but it's the look similar to chromatic aberration. I remember Ulco tried to create something like that for his own underwater scene.

mhaze

Excellent start - wonderful mood and lighting. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

ajcgi

I like the feel of this. Jacques Cousteau. ;)
I have an underwater scene on my to do list for my current project. They are tricky to get right as so much of the ocean is just ocean. You have a good sense of scale here.

luvsmuzik

Another "Rene Special"

Great composition and complexity!  Those faint details in the murky water sooo good! Inspiring image! :) :) :)

René

I have many problems with scattering vegetation. There is a lot of overlap between instances. For trees or grass this is usually not a big problem, but in this case, there are big differences in shape and color so the flaws become very clear. I made masks to control the distribution, but with little success. I would be very happy to see a system in place to steer things in a logical way.
I think there is nothing else to it but to place the instances manually.

René

René

The mask I used to scatter the 'vegetation'.