Underwater scene

Started by René, July 15, 2018, 12:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

Quote from: René on July 30, 2018, 08:19:14 AM
I think there is nothing else to it but to place the instances manually.

For small populations this way ist useful. But bigger populations with some hundred instances will be a horrible job...
What about editing pops after seed and saving the population cache? You need a strong PC and you have to do the job with preview settings in textured objects. But I think it could work.

Besides very cool and authentic underwater views! In the first I even didn't find overlapping objects :)

René

Quote from: Dune on July 16, 2018, 02:41:12 AM

I wonder how you did the floating dirt, btw, which is really making it more real. I can imagine a few ways, but I'm just curious.

It's a localized cloud

René

I can give it a try, but I really would like a more elaborate scattering system, not just for underwater scenes. :)

Dune

Nice updates again. And thanks for sharing the debris. Not something you'd like to thank someone for in real life  ;)

Overlapping objects will only be really a problem in frontal areas, so a little editimg may come a long way. Unless you need to build a landscape for several shots or animation of course.

René

Hannes

Incredible progress, René! Very cool images.

René

So I think that using shadows is the only way to make fake caustics. Now I see myself faced with a problem: I really need very soft shadows for this scene, but when I use that, the whole look has disappeared.
Does anyone know a solution?

WAS

Quote from: René on August 10, 2018, 04:15:13 AM
So I think that using shadows is the only way to make fake caustics. Now I see myself faced with a problem: I really need very soft shadows for this scene, but when I use that, the whole look has disappeared.
Does anyone know a solution?

It looks like you may be hitting the opacity falloff, where it simply goes from transparent to blank. Have you tries a colour adjust playing with the point places? I think on one of my procedural caustics the waves were so subtle I had to use settings in the 0.000xx ranges. It's a little frustrating because what shows in 2D preview isn't what you'll get in the render.

Btw that looks lovely, the effect. How is the image map done? You just using the RGB map you made and blurring it with a central shadow map in PS?

René

I have used clouds for this.
The caustics in this case are shadows, which real caustics  are not. Soft shadows mean soft caustics, i.e. they become completely blurred. I wondered if there might be another way to fake caustics.

bobbystahr

Quote from: René on August 10, 2018, 05:10:58 AM
The caustics in this case are shadows, which real caustics  are not. Soft shadows mean soft caustics, i.e. they become completely blurred. I wondered if there might be another way to fake caustics.

I'm personally praying for caustics and full greyscale transparency every night heh heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Would the (somehow) projection of a hard vornoi cracks fractal mask fade (soften) as much as running the light through clouds? I am thinking like light passing through an iron grate or paned window type shadow.

René

Quote from: luvsmuzik on August 10, 2018, 09:14:28 AM
Would the (somehow) projection of a hard vornoi cracks fractal mask fade (soften) as much as running the light through clouds? I am thinking like light passing through an iron grate or paned window type shadow.

I tried something like that with a card object and a very hard voronoi shader, but it didn't work very well. I think the culprit is the fact that these are shadows rather than concentrations of light.
I'm going to try to hide the hard shadows; that's not ideal but I can think up nothing else.

WAS

Quote from: René on August 10, 2018, 05:10:58 AM

If only we could use shadows like a light source. Or use sun's position to project a a court adjustment mask on the terrain which lightens and adjusts colours of the caustics area.

Though there are shadows in caustics. Technically it's what makes the caustics. We just see the light as the "active bits" rather than noting the shadows.

luvsmuzik

A wire frame grid object does the trick if you can somehow distort it to resemble voronoi cells.....you wizard modelers could do this, I know. The soft shadows stay crisper anyway for me.