Sky City

Started by Hannes, October 05, 2007, 12:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

By hannesj
This is a composite of 17 single renders. Because I do not have the Deep version, I had to stitch the background together and had to render the station (or whatever this is  ???) and the ships separately. I created masks by assigning a selfilluminated white colour to the objects and made the environment totally black.
Btw most of the ships are populations. I hope it will be much more comfortable to place a population in future versions. It was really painful!!!

cyphyr

Wow !!
Most impressive work, especially your technique of getting about the free version limitations.
I like the city but I would like to see more variety in the "ships".
How did you get your populations "airborne"?
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

sjefen

This is awezome. I can understand that this was painful and I also hope there will be a more comfortable way to place population and object's in the future.

It looks like the station is tilted towards you camera. It makes it look a little strange. Try tilting it a little away from the camera if your gonna do another render.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

old_blaggard

Not bad.  The overall quality could have been enhanced, I think, as the clouds (especially their shadows) look rather fuzzy and the ships look kind of blocky, but the composition is definitely there.  Placing populations isn't too hard in my opinion; you just have to get used to fiddling with the dimensions and density.  I can understand your frustration trying to get it to fit right when it's this far above the ground, though.  Also, cyphyr, you get populations above the terrain by increasing the y-value of them.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Saurav

I'm liking the sky/clouds in this, especially the lighting.

dhavalmistry

very good....except the color combination of  the scene could be little better.....maybe little reflectivity of the buildings and a little darker color for the structure itself....

I love the clouds.....how long did it take to render??
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

Pretty cool, but a little crowded.  Like the sky.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Hannes

Thanks for your comments. I know it's far away from perfect. I had to blur the station and the ships a little bit, because they were a little bit noisy, although I chose the best render settings (They had to be rendered in one image 800 X 600). Thus they looked too noisy and sharp for the cloud background.
The station is in the right position, even if it looks tilted. I don't know why.

As I already wrote this is a combination of 17 images. The clouds are made of 9 of them. Each one took about one and a half hour to render. I also rendered one image for the station (four hours rendering time) and three images for the ships.
At last I rendered masks for the station and the ships, which took only a few minutes to render.