An evening at the lake

Started by Hannes, July 19, 2018, 01:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

My own attempt to create a campfire. I used the same wood model as luvsmuzik did with my own burning wood shader assigned to it. I added some localised clouds and a few orange lightsources to get some sort of glow where the fire is. Plus another cloud layer with some special settings for the sparks.
For the smoke I used another plane with an image map shader. When I first tried to render everything together I had some strange dark and flat areas where the smoke plane is. I tried a lot of things and eventually came up with the solution of creating a GI cache file WITHOUT the smoke plane, and then rendered the scene WITH the smoke plane using the previously created GI cache file, which worked perfectly.

KlausK

...and he is staring at the sunset?!?!?!?

That is really well done!
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

mhaze

Hmmm, I think she's sneakin' up on him. ;)

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Lady of the Lake

WAS

Wow this looks great! Honestly, while the fire looks great I'm more drawn to the shoreline contrasting the water. It looks especially realistic imo. Mind sharing veggie names/packs? I've been writing down a wishlist for TG that accompanies the big wishlist "TERRAGEN" lol.

I started a campfire with the image map attempt but somehow my images have been corrupted when I backed up my projects folder to Google Drive. Every single project image has been corrupted. I'm so upset. I don't even remember some of the images used in some projects which will now just be broken. Least I know where I found some good fire stocks.

For those that backup to google drive, I have no clue what happened other than any png/jpg/gif image has been destroyed. TIFF images are fine from more recent projects, or what I have saved in TIFF (I've been using it almost exclusively). I made a support topic but I advise if you add your project folder to sync list, make sure it's a copied folder.

masonspappy

I can't take my eyes off that beautiful  campfire (kill me).   ;D

Kadri

Very nice work Hannes.
Especially the women looks great for a Terragen render :)

DocCharly65

Quote from: masonspappy on July 19, 2018, 07:28:09 PM
I can't take my eyes off that beautiful  campfire (kill me).   ;D

ECHO!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

No - really!  Excellent work, Hannes

Dune

That is so good! Smart solution, I have to keep that in mind. It would still be good if it'd work without smart solutions, though.
Yeah, guy is looking the wrong way, but I don't care  ;D ;D

Hannes

Thanks guys!

Yes, there are open questions. Is this guy an enthusiastic ornithologist who passionately explores the mating behavior of a very rare breed of an eastern european partridge race during the evening, or is he just an idiot?

Is the girl a naughty girl, or does she suffer from a fungal infection?

Questions upon questions...

However, Jordan, you asked about the plants I used. The distant trees are made of a free sample of Archmodel's trees. I don't know, if it's still available. It's been years ago.
Additionally I used this one here for the foreground:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,6997.msg74409.html#msg74409#

and another free wetland reed grass model from Cadnav.
The grass is a model by Lightning, a former member of the forum, who left long time ago.

DannyG

Excellent render. The fire looks great. though I think the the dude needs to get his priorities in order ;)
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

luvsmuzik

Good job on this Hannes! Thanks for a great and quick solution! Mine is rendering at 1hr 45 minutes at 0.6MPD and 6AA. Clouds adding 15 minutes to render time. i have 6 vegetation pops and both flame card pops. 4 light sources and sun.

Hannes

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 20, 2018, 09:21:02 AM
...both flame card pops...

What do you mean? Isn't there just one card? Populations of this setup can be problematic like I wrote here:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24719.msg251428.html#msg251428

otakar

Fantastic! And not just the fire, of course.