Black objects

Started by xsimekp1, July 22, 2018, 06:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Hi Pavel,

In your last screenshot, you would need to enable the Shaders button (the green sphere) next to the RTP button. It remembers these settings separately for each UI Layout, so when you switched the Objects layout it was turned off.

The next thing I would suggest is to increase exposure in the preview, just to make sure that the textures really are black, not just very dark. To open the exposure control, there's a square icon at the bottom left of the preview with a black-and-white "+/-" icon. Or there are many other ways you could brighten the objects, such as increasing the sunlight intensity or setting the diffuse colour higher than 1.

If the objects really are completely black in the preview, it might be that the surface normals are not being loaded the way Terragen expects them. But, as this is an Xfrog object, I don't think this is likely to be the cause.

Something else to bear in mind is that the RTP does not always update materials and objects - sometimes it needs to be encouraged to update by disabling RTP and then re-enabling.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Also, try doing a render, if you haven't already.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

xsimekp1

it works with another trees :/ so i just have to find proper model, thx a lot guys

luvsmuzik

For the heck of it Flip Normals on Queen Palm. Just add it as 1 object.

Dune

WAS

I'm curious what may be causing this too. Here is a simple object I was modeling trying to learn some things, I set the colour in the modeling program, and it carries over to TG, but they object is black?

Dune

I can't open a rar on this machine, but I suspect it either having no normals or something else went wrong, so I'd always take it through Poseray and recalculate the normals.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on November 20, 2018, 01:44:05 AM
I can't open a rar on this machine, but I suspect it either having no normals or something else went wrong, so I'd always take it through Poseray and recalculate the normals.

Of course. Thanks Ulco.

They're nothing worth downloading anyway haha. Just playing with ngPlant

It has potential if I can track down some nice textures and leaf textures (or make them). It's a little limited and quirky.

bobbystahr

Odd that, I've used that free Queen Palm in all it's ages and it loads perfectly.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

Hi Pavel -

Yes, welcome to the forum! Did you happen to save the original .tgd file that you were having problems with? If so can you post it here? No need to include the Xfrog tree model, I have that. I'm just curious . . . no reason why that shouldn't be working for you.

Steve

surrealdan

I've had this problem before, took me a while to figure out. Make sure your maps are applied, and increase the diffuse amount to 1, then in the colour of the pop object increase the diffuse multiplier by 1.5 or 2, increase gradually and check your renders, I would also check if there's a translucency map to help light bleed through the leafs. That method has worked for me!
i7-3770k 4-core @3.5Ghz, 32gb
2x Xeon E5-2697 18-core @2.8Ghz , 128gb

lat 64

I was having this same blackout problem today until I found this thread. Groked. ??? My own solution was to delete the surface Parts shader that TG assigned to my .OBJ and just make a new one Surface shader. It worked! Hope that helps someone.

See attached for a shot of what melts out of glaciers these days here in Alaska. Evidence of oxide deposits at the crash site indicates some attempt at a restart and takeoff was tried but not successful. Estimated age of craft is about 3,000 years old.

What, no triple-A? Must have been out of cell phone rage :o.
I'm a half century plus ten yrs old. Yikes!

bobbystahr

great image lat 64..I find having a back story makes some images even better....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

lat 64

Something seems to be wrong with the Parts Shader on this X-wing. I Did some more experimenting with a new copy of the same Object and it is a repeatable offense. It happens each time. I corrected my earlier post for accuracy. I could not get it to "color" until I just broke the connection to the Parts Shader and created a Surface shader in it's place. This was patch but not a solution for the best modeling.

Oh well. I'm just fooling around and trying to figure stuff out.

I'm a half century plus ten yrs old. Yikes!