Another ocean

Started by Hannes, July 25, 2018, 01:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

The plane has a length and width of 150m each. Not sure yet, how it looks in close up. Maybe there have to be some changes.

KlausK

Thank you, Hannes.
And WOW! I thought it had to be much larger for what it looks like.
Very good sense of scale here.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

DocCharly65

Amazing! And very natural look! Congrats to that development!

The change of size is something I have always very much trouble with if I use procedural surfaces. It's much work to find the right values for alle the settings like displacement feature scale, displacement amplitude... and it even gets worse if I have different powerfractals connected e.g. in a line...
My respect to you for your endurance :)

WAS

Don't often visit this section cause I don't do animation, but saw the topic title and had to check it out. Glad I did, this is not to be missed! This is gorgeousness. Would love a node tree shot, wondering how complex is actually is.

Hannes

Thanks Jordan!
Actually it's not complicated at all. Basically it's two animated water shaders merged for the large displacement and for the finer displacement (better control with two shaders!). Reflectivity and transparency are deactivated. Just displacement.
Then there are two animated PFs, which additionally displace the plane vertically by the X- and Z-axis.
The color distribution of the whole thing is created by different settings of the Intersect underlying (Favor rises) feature of each shader. There's one extra water shader for the greenish wave tops that has transparency activated, which looked better than a simple green shader with some luminance. Finally right before the foam there's a reflective shader. That's basically it.
I'm quite happy with the movement, and even more happy, that there's no intimidating blue node jungle. ;)

luvsmuzik

Thank you for a peek at that! :)

So.....does the transform input shader move this on the Translate...or I suppose you do all sorts of things...????
(Modify the plane vertically on the x and z) :) I see the redirect now, some setup to explore!

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on August 02, 2018, 03:17:18 AM
Thanks Jordan!
Actually it's not complicated at all. Basically it's two animated water shaders merged for the large displacement and for the finer displacement (better control with two shaders!). Reflectivity and transparency are deactivated. Just displacement.
Then there are two animated PFs, which additionally displace the plane vertically by the X- and Z-axis.
The color distribution of the whole thing is created by different settings of the Intersect underlying (Favor rises) feature of each shader. There's one extra water shader for the greenish wave tops that has transparency activated, which looked better than a simple green shader with some luminance. Finally right before the foam there's a reflective shader. That's basically it.
I'm quite happy with the movement, and even more happy, that there's no intimidating blue node jungle. ;)

That's somewhat what I had in my head, little more going on though. Really surprised not to see any blue in there. ;)

Dune

Why do you use 2 redirect shaders? One will do just the same, IMO. Not important, but maybe you've found differences? I could imagine differences if you add a XYZ shader between them.

Hannes

Quote from: luvsmuzik on August 02, 2018, 07:43:06 AM
So.....does the transform input shader move this on the Translate...or I suppose you do all sorts of things...????

Yes, just translate.

Quote from: Dune on August 03, 2018, 02:30:39 AM
Why do you use 2 redirect shaders? One will do just the same, IMO. Not important, but maybe you've found differences? I could imagine differences if you add a XYZ shader between them.

You're right. One would do the same.. Didn't think of that.
What do you mean by XYZ shader?

Dune

Tex coords from XYZ. It might be that if you add that the coordinates are updated after the first redirect and second is then using those coordinates instead of the ones previous to the first, but I'm  not sure. With small displacements on rocks (after bigger) it helps.

Hannes

Ah, I see. Never tried that. Thanks for the tip!

Hannes

Another go. Again the color shading is done only with different settings of intersect underlying. It's not too reflective, because I wanted to see how the colors work.

Dune