Martian Landscape Educational Scene WIP

Started by WAS, July 25, 2018, 12:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Working on an educational scene due to some interest in discussion. Originally I just checked out ajcgi's strata example by accident when I meant to click the image preview, but liked the idea for the strata build so I made some adjustments and went from there.

Some issues with desert displacement currently

ajcgi

Quote from: WASasquatch on July 25, 2018, 12:26:52 PM
Working on an educational scene due to some interest in discussion. Originally I just checked out ajcgi's strata example by accident when I meant to click the image preview, but liked the idea for the strata build so I made some adjustments and went from there.

That's a solid start though. Nice one. The sand can be a pain to get right. I usually start with something like I have in my current Venus scene I'm trying to blat out this afternoon. See TGC. I've got displacement and colour on concurrent layers so the whole lot can be used to add sandiness after major displacements are all done. That was my logic anyway.  ;D

WAS

Quote from: ajcgi on July 25, 2018, 12:40:45 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on July 25, 2018, 12:26:52 PM

That's a solid start though. Nice one. The sand can be a pain to get right. I usually start with something like I have in my current Venus scene I'm trying to blat out this afternoon. See TGC. I've got displacement and colour on concurrent layers so the whole lot can be used to add sandiness after major displacements are all done. That was my logic anyway.  ;D

Thank you, I'll check them out. There is actually procedural ripples there, but unfortunately the smoothing effect on the sand dunes layer wasn't able to smooth a surface layers child displacement for the rocks below the dune surface for some reason. Like literally only shaders it couldn't smooth. I think because the displacement is formed by a merge shader? Not sure.

DocCharly65

The render looks already very good.
The displacement of the foreground looks for me like sand that wants to take off in the wind - I can almost feel the wind. With some dust perhaps this effect could be stronger. But if you put dust clouds in, they really have to look like they're pushing to the right, I think.
What I just don't know is if there are really so sharp edges on mars clouds... But anyway it looks great!

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on July 28, 2018, 10:47:01 AM
The render looks already very good.
The displacement of the foreground looks for me like sand that wants to take off in the wind - I can almost feel the wind. With some dust perhaps this effect could be stronger. But if you put dust clouds in, they really have to look like they're pushing to the right, I think.
What I just don't know is if there are really so sharp edges on mars clouds... But anyway it looks great!

I was actually thinking of using the terrain to warp the sandstorm noise. Give it "channels" around peaks, and than mask it in like it's coming through that pass there.