Mars Impact Crater

Started by Inscrutable, October 06, 2007, 05:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

Cool work. I like the lighting.

Oshyan

I think you've achieved some really realistic results here. They're not necessarily "dramatic", but I think a lot of the pictures we see of the actual surface are fairly boring. ;D For the appreciator of nature in its purest form, and all its shapes both wild and tame, this is a beautiful scene. This would certainly be true of Anne (in Red Mars - fantastic novel, I agree!). I think the average viewer might want to see something more striking, a feature that stood out more, or some kind of focal point, man-made or otherwise. But as far as realism goes this is very good.

- Oshyan

Inscrutable

Thanks again everyone.

Mahnmut, I spent yesterday playing around with the texturing and the colouring of the rocks, but because of the way I'd initially set it up, I can't get the grey to show up in a realistic way.  Presumably it's because the red sand has displacement applied to it, but for whatever reason, the grey only shows up on a few of the rocks and then it looks too stark and out of place.  So I've given up on that front - I'm weak, and I lack resolve  :) (plus I have an exam tomorrow that I should really have been revising for!)

Oshyan, I totally agree.  My initial aim was to just go for a very natural, intentionally boring image.  For me, the images of Mars that are "boring" are, ironically, the most exciting.  I think there's something really evocative about seeing something that is both seemingly normal and mundane while knoeing that it's truly alien.

Anyway, I've since been trying to explore dhavalmistry's recommendation of adding a rover, just to apply some focus.  Unfortunately I can't find ANY free rover models, and I don't have the cash to spend out on one.  If anyone has any suggestions on this front I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Inscrutable

sjefen

I did find this one: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/257762, but it's in max. format.
Anyways... Good luck on exam.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB