Workstation Dead in the Water...

Started by bobbystahr, July 27, 2018, 09:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

....so I'll be MIA for a while till it's fixed. Had to reinstall TG4 on this old 2 core Dell and even though I can get TG running it's a bit less than enjoyable waiting for the test renders much less any final I may come up with....sigh.   Later.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Too bad, Bobby. Hope you get it fixed soon!

luvsmuzik

Aww, sorry to hear that.  :'(  I, for one, was worried about you and your cycle. WHEW!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on July 27, 2018, 09:21:20 AM
Too bad, Bobby. Hope you get it fixed soon!

Just waiting on word from the dude that built it for me...it's less than a year old, shouldn't have crapped out so soon...a bit disappointed.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Check Win10 updates. See if one is stalling everything. Crazy updates still go on even with all the notifications and blockage.

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 27, 2018, 09:49:28 AM
Check Win10 updates. See if one is stalling everything. Crazy updates still go on even with all the notifications and blockage.

no it's definitely a fan problem..
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Still waiting but I seem to be able to run it when the temps outside are under 30 C...looks like a week away as it's supposed to heat up again here.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

digitalguru

it's amazing how much the ambient temp makes a difference - I set up my pc cooling in "normal" British weather, but in this unseasonable heatwave, I have to reduce the cores on a Terragen render to stop it overheating  :(

sboerner

Hope you get your workstation back soon. Sounds frustrating.

bobbystahr

Quote from: digitalguru on August 08, 2018, 09:44:10 AM
it's amazing how much the ambient temp makes a difference - I set up my pc cooling in "normal" British weather, but in this unseasonable heatwave, I have to reduce the cores on a Terragen render to stop it overheating  :(

It's not overheating, just the top fan is kaput, makes more noise than air passage heh heh...waiting on the builder to come replace them as it's only been 11 months...so I wait.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on August 08, 2018, 12:04:28 PM
Hope you get your workstation back soon. Sounds frustrating.

A bit, but I am finding cool old projects on this old DELL that are fun to play with and it's holding up well in out +30 C. temps.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New