Ever dream in Terragen?

Started by WAS, August 11, 2018, 01:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Do you every dream in Terragen? I don't dream much anymore, but for some reason, when I work with TG all day occasionally I'll have dreams that last all night, where I am Terragen. Lol Hard to explain but it's a lot of just like seeing things I want to happen, happen. Last night I was dreaming of volumetrics all night and how to spoof it in TG. Gave me an idea to try some image maps.

sboerner

Haven't done that, but when I'm sketching ideas on paper I sometimes try to reach for the "undo" button. (Haven't tried to hit "render" yet. :D)

They say true inspiration can come in dreams, though, so I'll be curious to see how your idea works out. The subconscious mind is always working ...

WAS

Quote from: sboerner on August 11, 2018, 01:58:47 PM
Haven't done that, but when I'm sketching ideas on paper I sometimes try to reach for the "undo" button. (Haven't tried to hit "render" yet. :D)

They say true inspiration can come in dreams, though, so I'll be curious to see how your idea works out. The subconscious mind is always working ...

Came out decent enough. :P Uploading the archives for share. Much larger due to custom textures.

N-drju

Legend has it, that this is how Mendeleev crafted the periodic table of elements.

Lots of fresh and clean air can induce nighttime dreaming if you like it. Checked it myself. Spend one full day out in the open amongst trees and fields and I guarantee you will have a night to remember.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on August 12, 2018, 04:22:18 AM
Legend has it, that this is how Mendeleev crafted the periodic table of elements.

Lots of fresh and clean air can induce nighttime dreaming if you like it. Checked it myself. Spend one full day out in the open amongst trees and fields and I guarantee you will have a night to remember.

I always have a window going with a fan bringing in fresh air. Use my vent and fan on my RV. I live in a the wilderness pretty much which is really nice. Old growth forests a few steps away. Last year while my fiancee was pregnant and having some nesting urges she sorta kicked me out for a bit so I stayed in a tent here at the park for a few months. It was actually really nice.

archonforest

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 12, 2018, 04:05:24 PM

I always have a window going with a fan bringing in fresh air. Use my vent and fan on my RV. I live in a the wilderness pretty much which is really nice. Old growth forests a few steps away. Last year while my fiancee was pregnant and having some nesting urges she sorta kicked me out for a bit so I stayed in a tent here at the park for a few months. It was actually really nice.

Interesting idea. The RV. Perhaps upload some pictures of the forest. When I was waaay younger I had a plan to live on a ship like the Highlinder in the series ;D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

Quote from: archonforest on August 12, 2018, 04:16:56 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on August 12, 2018, 04:05:24 PM

Interesting idea. The RV. Perhaps upload some pictures of the forest. When I was waaay younger I had a plan to live on a ship like the Highlinder in the series ;D

My ship-living fantasies were from Die Hard, Bruce Willis. Haha. I really need to go back and re-watch all the Highlander movies and show. I was really young when my dad had them on a lot and really didn't get much of what was going on besides they were immortal, and there was some sort of game going on. Lol

I'll definitely take some pictures. Being among the trees it's hard to get shots to define it all, but lots of veggies and moss.

René

Yes, I sometimes dream of Terragen (I don't know if that's a good thing). Sometimes I also dream of encountering a beautiful landscape while walking. Then I run back home to pick up my camera(I don't have a smartphone) and when I return I can't find the right spot anymore.

Hannes

I never had Terragen dreams (so far), but I can't look at nature like I did, before I put my hands on TG. Sometimes I see something, and I think, this looks like a bad render, or how can I achieve something like this in TG.
I'd love to have a TG dream, and some time ago I read a lot about lucid dreaming (being aware that you're dreaming, when you sleep and being able to control the dream to a certain extent). Maybe one day I'll manage to have a lucid one with TG content.  ;)
Btw, the chance to have vivd dreams are good during the REM phases in the early morning.

Dune

I sometimes have lucid dreams. Wonderful, but you have to take care not to switch from unconsious to consious, very fickle to stay in the dream. But you steer your dream to and have a better look at something. And I sometimes say to myself (in my dream); I have to remember that when I wake again.
Flying in dreams is great to, btw.

ajcgi

I sometimes dream a bit about TG, mostly when I've spent days staring at the same shot or tweaking clouds.

archonforest

I dreamed once about TG as I wanted to solve a problem about fake rock populations. And the funny thing is when I woke up in the morning I remembered the idea that I had and it actually worked.  :D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

Quote from: archonforest on August 13, 2018, 12:45:53 PM
I dreamed once about TG as I wanted to solve a problem about fake rock populations. And the funny thing is when I woke up in the morning I remembered the idea that I had and it actually worked.  :D

That's actually how I applied the redirecting approach from Denis's Nebulas to rocks for the first time. I was having a nebula dream but in it I slowly settled from the heavens to a planet, where the rocks, were... unfortunately very not that well detailed. Just plane fake stone shader look. I than had the idea of warping the stones in my dream and they all started warping and such, albeit nothing like a real stone. Lol

I am often aware I am dreaming, I'll start tossing and turning and be semi-conscious, but I can't control anything. Not that I've put much effort into lucid dreaming. A fascinating concept though. Would be awesome to use dreams for direct inspiration.