My Golden Forest

Started by Valentina, July 28, 2018, 04:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valentina

Hi everyone,
today I've spent time on the Golden Forest tutorial, this is my result. Here I've used 2 clouds layer, the first for a softer touch (I don't know the word in english, but it's the effect of the air getting thicker in the background, that sort of fog), and the second one for a more present 'fog'. It's hard to explain these kind of things in another language...
I would like to have some advice/critics/anything, really many thanks. Now I'm trying adding some water like a reference picture I found.
Valentina

Dune

The lighting is superb as a start. So where will the water be? I guess this is a crop...

archonforest

indeed great start!! Keep going. You are on the right track for sure.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

luvsmuzik

Excellent! A link to this tutorial would be fantastic also. :)

mhaze

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Valentina

Hi, thank you all.
I'm sorry luvsmuzik, I though that since this is a very famous tutorial I didn't need to add the link.
Dune, That was not a crop, and I added water in the foreground of the frame, but I don't like the result: infact I like this render to be veeery foggy, and the water is not really visible as you can see in the following render (which has a postwork in photoshop to get more contrast, as in the tutorial) . Plus, I lowered the density of the popolation with the result of some kind of fire, more than the Sun  :-\. Probably too high the exposure of the camera. I'll keep going working on it.
[attach=2]
And then less bright

Ok it appears I'm not able to add attachments properly.. The first you see is the less bright, the end-of-post is the fire-sun.
Sorry for the poor quality, it takes long to render. And as everytime, sorry for my english.

Ps Can I post the render on my Artstation profile, quoting of course Ryan Archer and his website?

Thank you :)
Valentina

Dune

I see what you mean now. There's some reflections of the trunks at front, so there's the water. But it's hardly discernable as water, due to the presence of the front fog patches. I would diminish those (or leave them out completely), and I would try to make a shoreline of some sort. After that works fine, the you can subtly add some fog again, which should be a little softer too, IMO.

DocCharly65

Echo what Ulco says.

But anyway good start. I like the concept and the mood of the scene.

Valentina

Hi everyone,
I've followed your advice and this is my current result: I moved the camera in order to see more of the water, I used my 'fog' cloud layer just as a way to give some haze and spread the light, and I put the little clumps of fog just in the foreground. I also put some plants near the camera so I have a darker frame (I know I should probably use some depht of field, now...).
Is this render an improvement?
thanky you,
Valentina

Hannes

That looks really beautiful. Have you tried to check "receive shadows from surfaces" in your cloud layers to get some nice beams?

Valentina

Thanks! I'm trying to get some god rays but I still have troubles, Probably due to quality, maybe they are there but I can't see them, sounds possible?

Dune

This is very much better indeed! Godrays is a good idea (just working on one myself).

DocCharly65

I agree with the godrays. But in general already a big improvement and very beautiful render!

otakar

Very nice! Yes, the water adds interest.