Pine forest

Started by Dune, July 31, 2018, 09:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Again, testing some new trees, and while I was at it......

WAS

Really like the colours here. Like Black Forrest pine forest.  The ground vegetation is a good contrast to the darkness. I thought I commented on this already but I guess signal wasn't so good. Great work here. Only thing that draws my attention is the snag branches. They seem maybe tad to straight giving them a easily perceivable repetition.

Hannes

Oh, that looks very realistic and very moody. Agree about the branches.

Dune

So I added some more branches and broke the others a bit more. And made mist a bit denser.

luvsmuzik

Pretty!
Just the kind of tree you climb as a kid and then try to sway with your weight. Those pointed branches will get you though. :)
We had a creek bed in a park nearby that had huge vines we would grab one and do our best "Tarzan" yell, pushing off the side of the hill into the air and then drop....Summer fun!

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 02, 2018, 06:37:50 AM
So I added some more branches and broke the others a bit more. And made mist a bit denser.

Much better. Just that one short straight thick snag is easily noticeable now, rest blend rather well. The mist looks great. Maybe change the position of the sun so it isn't perfectly behind a tree casting a black straight shadow into the camera.

bobbystahr

Lovely, and though I got one of those in a recent render and left it, but in this image it (the black shadow) is just too prominent so agree with WAS
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 02, 2018, 10:39:13 PM
Lovely, and though I got one of those in a recent render and left it, but in this image it (the black shadow) is just too prominent so agree with WAS

Probably even the slightest change in position with throw off that perfect shadow I'd imagine and not totally change the look too

Love those pines though. But I really like temperate forest.

Hannes

Honestly, I don't like that tree. The image is so well lit and looks so realistic, but these branches are really awful. Just my taste maybe... If you'd replace the tree by another one the image would be fantastic.

Dune

You may be right about the side branches, I have to rethink those. Though some pines do have these straight regulars, others have far less and irregular. But that's the good thing about Speedtree; adjusted in a whiffy  ;)

Anyway, done another view with adjusted stuff.

bobbystahr

Much more bettah...I hesitated on commenting on the 'spiky' branches but they suit my eye/taste well now...great image with the spooky church? and the deer.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Oh wow yeah this is WAY better. While i can see branches that may be similar, I don't immediately notice any identical shapes exactly. at the angles and rotations of the trees.

Maybe lean some trees? While your reference shows none, usually in forests you'll have leaning either dead, or uprooted trees, as well as some just leaning from softer topsoils as they age and their mass grows. Here in WA you really can't look into a forest at any direction and see nothing but straight trees. Though we don't have straight Pine forests, least not up this far north, more towards Oregon border and Rock and Shore pine forests.

Deer is a nice touch. :D I tried to find one for my scene but they all were T-Pose (and often unrigged) and looked bad. Only low poly bear was actually posed and looked "alright".

AP

The last two renders are very good. Altering the trees helped and the foggy light from the last render is a good addition. The second to the last render is very photo real.

Hannes

Oh yes, this last one is outstanding! The straight branches aren't that prominent in this image, so it looks way better. I see, that there are branches similar to yours in nature, but to my eyes they seem a tiny bit more organic.
I like the composition very much. All ingredients fit perfectly together.

Dune

I realized (after a hike this morning studying pines and Douglas firs) that I'm kind of mixing up 2 species. Pines have less of the small straight sticklike branches and more (or less) thick, bent ones, Douglas have more of the small straight ones. So I may reconsider them again (and again and again)....