Pine forest

Started by Dune, July 31, 2018, 09:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 04, 2018, 07:07:14 AM
I realized (after a hike this morning studying pines and Douglas firs) that I'm kind of mixing up 2 species. Pines have less of the small straight sticklike branches and more (or less) thick, bent ones, Douglas have more of the small straight ones. So I may reconsider them again (and again and again)....

Pines don't often grow close enough together and dense enough for their canopy to kill off branches, and  those snag branches  catching other branches below.

Dune

They do here, or did I misunderstand you?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on August 05, 2018, 01:48:06 AM

is one of these a reference photo Ulco?  if so which one? if not, astounding!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Both photo's. I wish....

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on August 05, 2018, 11:27:10 AM
Both photo's. I wish....

you're closer than most...SpeedTree makes the difference
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 05, 2018, 01:48:06 AM

FYI, that's a logging forest (there's no natural groving). It's planted to be clear cut. With trees as close as possible. They only care about the trunk. In a natural setting you may see two coming from the same spot growing side by side from a double embryonic seed, but it's rare two seeds would germinate so close considering the rate of germination and sun required.

It's like the Black Forest scenes in WWII movies, not the same Black Forest. Been clear cut and reseeded.

In a natural forest there would be other trees filling gaps (especially new growth deciduous), as no single species would win out in a natural setting. Not even in the Red Wood forest.

The branches should be dying more from just canopy density.  Here's a old new growth (forest was deforested in turn of the century and replanted for logging) shot from around the 1940s in the Black Forest, these Pines have lower branches except the insides facing each other. They're just a lot hardier branches.

I'm not positive but the forest services may actually cut snag branches off so they can navigate with logging equipment and survey when the forest is ready easily like they do keeping brush vegetation out.

Update: I asked my uncle about the snag branches who is in the forest service and he confirms they do cut low hanging branches, he also noted that managed logging forests won't have deciduous trees and brush, which are the new-growth protectors from wind and storms for slow growing old growth forests.

Dune

Of course, I'm well aware of the difference between natural forests and 'log/trunk plantations'. We have a lot of those woods planted over poor sandy areas to protect villages from moving dunes (sice medieval times), and for use in mines to support tunnels. Very poor ecologically, and being slowly 'naturalized' into more decideous woods nowadays.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 06, 2018, 01:43:34 AM
Of course, I'm well aware of the difference between natural forests and 'log/trunk plantations'. We have a lot of those woods planted over poor sandy areas to protect villages from moving dunes (sice medieval times), and for use in mines to support tunnels. Very poor ecologically, and being slowly 'naturalized' into more decideous woods nowadays.

Yeah the government does way better these days in the US, very natural and we'll kept but privately owned is whole other story, and unfortunately that dwarfs federal. :/ Clear cutting is getting popular I WA again now that a lot of forests have recovered. Yaay. Not.

DocCharly65

Is there still enough time to sa "congratulations for Pineforest_31-07-18_v2-1.jpg"?  ;D

Looks autentic, realistic and beautiful!

bobbystahr

Quote from: DocCharly65 on August 06, 2018, 03:20:25 AM
Is there still enough time to sa "congratulations for Pineforest_31-07-18_v2-1.jpg"?  ;D

Looks autentic, realistic and beautiful!

I totally agree.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

DannyG

The last one is crazy good. Very nice Ulco
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram