Jumping on the haze kick... The Last Dawn

Started by WAS, August 01, 2018, 01:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Just something I whipped up this early evening before a nap. I wish I could add more populations to fill the scene but 3 is what we get to sample in free. 3 light sources added, 2 to the background and one behind the camera at the base of the foothill.

Beautiful Douglas Fir by AP, and Grass 7 by Dune that unfortunately seems to blend too well with the haze and sorta noise at these quality settings. MPD 0.6 AA 6

C&C welcome.

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

WAS

Some more iterations.....

bobbystahr

Like em all, would like to see the GodRays one higher res...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 01, 2018, 03:13:04 PM
Like em all, would like to see the GodRays one higher res...

Yeah the noise sorta unfortunately drowns out some of the rays, especially in the last preview render. Even in the high quality renders they're pretty noisy, and I have Atmosphere at 32, and cloud quality at 0.75 with GI Cache at Still / High.

Oshyan

GI Cache quality is probably not helping you much here, and likely adding render time. If you are not already using Defer Atmo, enable it. With 32 atmo samples if the noise is coming from the atmosphere it should resolve that at AA4 (again, with Defer Atmo enabled). If the noise is from clouds and you are using V3 clouds (any of the Easy Clouds or Generic cloud presets), try increasing the Voxel Scattering Quality in the GI settings of the Render node, GI in Clouds tab. Test a value of 200.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on August 01, 2018, 05:15:03 PM
GI Cache quality is probably not helping you much here, and likely adding render time. If you are not already using Defer Atmo, enable it. With 32 atmo samples if the noise is coming from the atmosphere it should resolve that at AA4 (again, with Defer Atmo enabled). If the noise is from clouds and you are using V3 clouds (any of the Easy Clouds or Generic cloud presets), try increasing the Voxel Scattering Quality in the GI settings of the Render node, GI in Clouds tab. Test a value of 200.

- Oshyan

The main haze is V2, but the definition fog is V3. I'll try upping voxel count.

The GI Cache cloud quality did play a significant role in "clean" fire with clouds even with cloud quality at like 10  instead of here at 0.75 so I sorta starta doing it by habit.

I'll try the Voxel Scattering Quality. I don't think I actually have messed with that much. I think I changed it to 100 for the fire tests so may be why I thought changing to "Still / High" or Very High made a difference.

WAS

That seems to reduce the noise a bit in the preview render. Will do a bigger render later.

bobbystahr

That's pretty nice, I look forward to a final on this, AA 6 if you can, and mpD at .5 work well in this type of scene for me.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 01, 2018, 06:33:58 PM
That's pretty nice, I look forward to a final on this, AA 6 if you can, and mpD at .5 work well in this type of scene for me.

Curious question about AA since that reminded me, would changing to max samples at AA6 make any benefit for low quality MPD? Figured Terragen knows what it's doing when it comes to the AA sampling, but than again, I am not really rendering at settings everyone else is for the most part.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 01, 2018, 06:55:19 PM

Curious question about AA since that reminded me, would changing to max samples at AA6 make any benefit for low quality MPD? Figured Terragen knows what it's doing when it comes to the AA sampling, but than again, I am not really rendering at settings everyone else is for the most part.

Dunno never did that test. Maybe do it and report heh heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 01, 2018, 06:57:13 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on August 01, 2018, 06:55:19 PM

Dunno never did that test. Maybe do it and report heh heh heh

Wish I could schedule renders hehe with how long the last full resolution ones went I could do 3-4 in a night.

bobbystahr

Well, you could do a series of crops of a major area of interest/problem....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Did a full resolution render with MPD 0.6 and AA6 with voxel scattering quality up to 200, which exponentially cleared up the noise.

Changed the population and lighting up a bit and added some dead trees and a bear. Really want to add a brush population to fill out the scene and some food for the bear, but I'm maxed out on the 3 pops. Wanted to get some rocks in the middle of the scene, but despite any settings the populations of fake stones stays the same. Even though it's different in 2D previews. Really odd. So I deleted one of the foreground trees on the right to at least see a couple rocks.

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"