Fake Stones always the same regardless of seed?

Started by WAS, August 01, 2018, 07:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Having issues changing my fake stones. There are no masks involved, but when changing the seeds, there is no change in the preview or final render...???

There are 4 stones, Large, Medium, Small, and Tiny. Changing the seeds, variation, and variation scale on any of them and all of them produce the same populations of stones in final and preview renders, while the 2D previews always show different results.

Dune

You didn't change the main seed, just the variation from that seed. Something I actually never touch(ed), as I don't see it's value.

Hannes

Yes, indeed. The seed you changed is only for some sort of masking of the variation.

WAS

Whoa! Whoa! Yeah thanks! Total brain fart.

However, that still means this feature is broken, as changing this all up yields entirely different rock locations, that is not translated over to the render. Changing the scale, variation, and seed, changes the large boulders locations, but the preview, and final render is always the same -- so it's not doing a thing except in 2D previews.

Matt

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 02, 2018, 12:17:18 PM
that is not translated over to the render. Changing the scale, variation, and seed, changes the large boulders locations, but the preview, and final render is always the same -- so it's not doing a thing except in 2D previews.

I'm not able to reproduce this. You probably don't have it connected to the planet in the way you think you do.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on August 02, 2018, 06:52:01 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on August 02, 2018, 12:17:18 PM
that is not translated over to the render. Changing the scale, variation, and seed, changes the large boulders locations, but the preview, and final render is always the same -- so it's not doing a thing except in 2D previews.

I'm not able to reproduce this. You probably don't have it connected to the planet in the way you think you do.

Matt

As a surface layers child? And how else could you even connect it to the planet in any other way besides main and child? Let alone those instances breaking the feature?

I'll attach the file without objects and clouds later. What did you do to try and reproduce the problem? Did you change only the variation seed and or scales?

WAS

I think it may have been the chained effect of 4 stones mixed together through a chained series of merge shader. When I went to strip the file, I stripped down to just one rock layer and no merges, and the population immediately gave me stones in the center of the preview like I was trying to do. So probably need to just do single fake rock pops and mask them or just one merge. Going to test in original scene.

WAS

Ha, did find out that the vary scale I mistook for seed is actually very useful for chaining up Fake Stones into their own Main Input's. These two fake stone layers don't have  bad collision or piling with their variation changed slightly on the same seeds.

Matt

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 03, 2018, 12:46:04 AM
I think it may have been the chained effect of 4 stones mixed together through a chained series of merge shader. When I went to strip the file, I stripped down to just one rock layer and no merges, and the population immediately gave me stones in the center of the preview like I was trying to do. So probably need to just do single fake rock pops and mask them or just one merge. Going to test in original scene.

There's nothing wrong with doing multiple merges (although they can slow down renders). The rocks you saw in the 3D Preview and render that didn't change were almost certainly coming from a different shader than the one you were editing.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on August 03, 2018, 01:24:01 AM
Quote from: WASasquatch on August 03, 2018, 12:46:04 AM

There's nothing wrong with doing multiple merges (although they can slow down renders). The rocks you saw in the 3D Preview and render that didn't change were almost certainly coming from a different shader than the one you were editing.

There was only one large Boulder fake stone shader, being edited, clearly distinguishable, and easily noticeable changes in the 2D preview. I think it was a similar problem as SSS shapes in a long string where 2D preview saw no changes but render did, just reversed. The rest of the stones are a lot smaller, and not Boulder size.  Also as I noted I went though all and changed the variation seed, and variation scale as I noticed there were no changes.

Matt

If there's a bug here then I'll need a TGD to reproduce it.