AmigaOS 4

Started by WAS, August 04, 2018, 02:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

My friend showed me this, was completely unaware. This is really cool, and cool to see PowerPC still having a home.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/the-a-eon-amiga-x5000-reviewed-the-beloved-amiga-meets-2017/

archonforest

Oh yes!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

My pc workstation actually boots into Amiga OS 4.1!

Amiga still rulez!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Matt

A couple of months ago I had a dream that told me I really, really needed to port Terragen back to the Amiga (or some modern incarnation of it). My logical brain tells me it's a waste of time but my heart keeps telling me to do it, even after all these years.

(No, I don't really think it will ever happen.) Well, you never know ;)
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Although, if Apple makes life difficult for OpenGL programmers then perhaps the Amiga isn't such a bad idea after all...  :o

Matt

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/a-history-of-the-amiga-part-12-red-vs-blue/

Part of it was the uniqueness of a platform that was literally ten years ahead of its time. You can take an Amiga 1000 from 1985 and use it today as if you were using a modern (albeit slow) computer. It has a graphical user interface, color, stereo sampled sound, long file names, and pre-emptive multitasking. You can even, with the appropriate peripherals, connect it to the Internet. The equivalent Macintosh at the time had only a 9-inch monochrome screen and everything halted as soon as you held down the mouse button. A typical PC from 1985 was even more ancient, usually sporting a text-based display and a command-line only, single-tasking DOS.

To be so far ahead was both a blessing and a curse for the Amiga. The mainstream technology press didn't quite understand it. The press either pretended like it didn't even exist or published dismissive screeds claiming that nobody needed color, sound, or multitasking in a business environment. Ten years later when Windows 95 appeared, these same features were touted as innovative and exciting.

Ultimately, the Amiga wasn't just the set of custom chips with names like Agnes, Paula, and Daphne. It wasn't just the Kickstart ROM chips or the Workbench interface that made up the AmigaOS operating system. The Amiga was an idea. It was the idea of a personal computer that was easy to use and fun, powerful enough to run cutting-edge games and applications, but still understandable by a single person. It was possible to know and recognize every file in the operating system and even comprehend how the custom chips worked on a fundamental level. Today, we have computers that are tens of thousands of times more powerful, but nobody would ever pretend to understand how every part of Windows works. Something has been lost.

The Amiga didn't just play great games. It offered a glimpse into a sci-fi future, where affordable personal devices could allow ordinary people to edit video and create new three-dimensional worlds in software. But it was more than that. The Amiga, unlike any other computer that followed it, had both a soul and a heart.

Matt

WAS

Quote from: archonforest on August 04, 2018, 02:46:50 PM
Oh yes!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

My pc workstation actually boots into Amiga OS 4.1!

Amiga still rulez!

This makes me happy.

I am going to look into emulating it so I can at least check it out.

Quote from: Matt on August 04, 2018, 04:37:21 PM
A couple of months ago I had a dream that told me I really, really needed to port Terragen back to the Amiga (or some modern incarnation of it). My logical brain tells me it's a waste of time but my heart keeps telling me to do it, even after all these years.

I wonder if there are any wrapper people have developed already that would help in this. Which ties into the comment about Apple... I really do hope they provide a near 100% support wrapper for whatever new they are doing. Similar to how you can write for WebGL and MS proprietary wrapper translates it to DirectX.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on August 04, 2018, 05:15:30 PM
Part of a series:

https://arstechnica.com/series/history-of-the-amiga/

I don't know enough about Amiga apparently. See I never got to have one. Well I take that back, I did have one, but it literally caught fire when I plugged it in for a first run. That happened to a '89 DOS PC my dads friend built me too. Serious bad luck with PCs my whole life. But than again, they've all been hand-me-downs but one.

Been watching videos, and it's really cool to see what people have been doing. I mean look at this stuff for the Amiga500 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jyXd3BlpN8

archonforest

Around 98 or so I was formatting 2 floppy disks, playing a tune with a music player and played a game together with a friend IN THE SAME TIME! Now that what I call multitasking!! The operating system that did this was on a 880kbyte floppy disk! The cpu was a 7.14Mhz one. Now this is engineering to the MAX!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on August 04, 2018, 04:37:21 PM

That's where I was first bit by Terragen. still have a stack of A1000's and A2000's in the basement heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on August 05, 2018, 08:04:51 AM
Around 98 or so I was formatting 2 floppy disks, playing a tune with a music player and played a game together with a friend IN THE SAME TIME! Now that what I call multitasking!! The operating system that did this was on a 880kbyte floppy disk! The cpu was a 7.14Mhz one. Now this is engineering to the MAX!

Yup Amiga was best at that..too bad they didn't focus on aet and music instead of tryin to go head to head with M$ for the business market. Amiga had the first polyphonic synthesizer and I wrote/transcribed all the original rough drafts of my music on a A1000. Took years for the pc to catch up to that...and we were using HAM which gave 4096 colours when mac and pc had 16....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 05, 2018, 12:24:57 PM
Quote from: archonforest on August 05, 2018, 08:04:51 AM

Yup Amiga was best at that..too bad they didn't focus on aet and music instead of tryin to go head to head with M$ for the business market. Amiga had the first polyphonic synthesizer and I wrote/transcribed all the original rough drafts of my music on a A1000. Took years for the pc to catch up to that...and we were using HAM which gave 4096 colours when mac and pc had 16....

Nice! If I would live closer I would buy one of them for sure.  :)

WAS

I wonder if the Amiga contributed to a lot of the mid to late 80s electronic music. It sure did suddenly evolve overnight from basic synth from the 70s

Additionally, is it worth it to add to my wish list one of the many refurbished radstone Motorola amiga ppc's that offer all over the net? Most don't even mention if they are working or broken.

archonforest

It definitely contributed. In my country several studios used it in the 80's.

WAS

Quote from: archonforest on August 05, 2018, 03:18:30 PM
It definitely contributed. In my country several studios used it in the 80's.

I'm an absolute die hard fan of synthwave mimicking 80s style music and original electronic music. I listen to Herbie Hancock, Human League, New Order, etc, on the regular.