Terragen Vinyl LP

Started by WAS, August 05, 2018, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Here's a procedural 12 inch vinyl record for the heck of it. When I zoomed in on the lathe tracking it looked decent enough, but at scale with whole record visible it looks really rough. Maybe someone could render it in much high quality and see if it looks better? I tried upping some cache settings but looks pretty much the same to my eye. The Lathe fractal noise displacement should have a offset of I believe 0.00001 to make it flat like a real record but with the MPD issue it just looked better with base displacement pushing it down a bit.

I did this all off the preview window and 2d previews almost until the very end so felt a little disappointed in results with polygons. :\ Oh well.

Kadri

Thanks for sharing.
I used probably unneeded high quality settings just because i was curious too how it will look.
Detail at 1, AA 12 and 8000 x 4500 resolution (crop render). Took 4 hours on my 2600k.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Kadri on August 05, 2018, 12:07:24 PM

Thanks for sharing.
I used probably unneeded high quality settings just because i was curious too how it will look.
Detail at 1, AA 12 and 8000 x 4500 resolution (crop render). Took 4 hours on my 2600k.

that worked out quite well but seems a tad impractical, the only way to get those grooves I think would be to model them, and that'd be poly madness!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 05, 2018, 12:16:06 PM
Quote from: Kadri on August 05, 2018, 12:07:24 PM

Thanks for sharing.

that worked out quite well but seems a tad impractical, the only way to get those grooves I think would be to model them, and that'd be poly madness!

Should be certainly possible otherwise that's a quality concern with the software.  This is one of the reasons I don't do much but make small things in TG because I don't like it's rather rough and bad quality, even for a free trial. Doesn't convince me in the softwares abilities, even 10 years later.  You'd think at scale it should be more than possible, and if not it's a render issue which might effect more than just fine displacement but the geometry of loaded models, and maybe why models look cartoony in TG? photoreaslistic scans look anything but when loaded into TG. Unless that's quality settings effecting geometry and textures there too.

Looks like the fractal noise is too rough, from vortex distorting quality or the base fractal itself.

Little smooth surface on the lathe shaders goes a long way just at my low quality:

WAS

Also, AA on this probably shouldn't be beyond 7 or 8, maybe even 6 as it's only going to blur super fine detail on the pixel level. And in some cases with pixel sampling, chop fine detail perhaps. Also if one were to add this two a house scene, I doubt it'd be a focal and be any worry about lathe quality from afar. AA is also only going to exponentially boost render time to say 4 hours instead of like 10-15 minutes.

Kadri

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 05, 2018, 01:42:47 PM
Also, AA on this probably shouldn't be beyond 7 or 8, maybe even 6 as it's only going to blur super fine detail on the pixel level. And in some cases with pixel sampling, chop fine detail perhaps. Also if one were to add this two a house scene, I doubt it'd be a focal and be any worry about lathe quality from afar. AA is also only going to exponentially boost render time to say 4 hours instead of like 10-15 minutes.

I wasn't worried about render time  ::)  ;D

WAS

I was just curious if it was even working, as in 2D it looks terrible and my max quality settings as well, so wasn't sure if the lathe spin was even working to any extent.  Lol For a LOD object probably be best to use the Label and Track masks to create a color difference instead. Would be super fast and look like it's been pressed and lathe'ed (lathed?)