BIOS won't remember saved settings

Started by Dune, August 07, 2018, 02:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Maybe one of the tech guys can help me out. Every time I start up my working machine, I get a CPU fan error message and have to go into the BIOS. There the cpu fan is rotating at 350rpm (and red; warning), Qfan is enabled and monitoring is on, with lowest speed set at 600rpm. As my temperatures are usually between 30 (idle) and 58-60 (rendering), I think nothing is wrong.
So I disable Qfan and set monitor cpufan to ignore. Hit F10 (save) and reboot.
But every time I start again in the morning, it's the same problem. BIOS back to default and the f.. error.

Very annoying, so any advice anyone could give me?

archonforest

What about the other BIOS settings? They also get cleared?

Things to check:

-Make sure the battery sits correctly in its socket.
-Using a volt meter check if the battery is not drained. Or buy a new battery and replace the old one. Buy one with the same specs.
-Check if the jumper around the battery is not in reset mode. Not sure if u have this on that mobo.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

I knew you were the one for advice, thanks! I'll check these things.
Another annoying thing is that I often get a warning that I have a 'chassis intrude', and I have to reboot once more. I think there may be some 'residue of current' staying behind or something. If I turn off the machine by the switch at the back after closing down for the night, it doesn't happen. Has had it ever since I had it assembled.

archonforest

Usually you can turn of the intruder settings in the BIOS somewhere. In some cases it can be also a jumper on the mobo. Check your motherboard's user manual. It should clearly state this somewhere.

Dune

Cleared the cmos, removed battery, but found that my multimeter was broken  >:( So put it all back; same error. Have to find a new battery I guess, or a new multimeter.

pokoy

Funny coincidence - I am seeing the intrusion error popping up every now and then on a render node. In my case the clock displays a wrong time so my assumption was that the battery went flat and BIOS loses its settings, and the intrusion error pops up now because it's enabled by default (which it wasn't when I bought the machine, probably).

Dune

Indeed. I always thought it had to do with a wrong connection (no earth somewhere or something), as it used to be that the fuses went down after I started this machine. That's over (don't ask me why), but it's the intrusion message now.
Well, just purchased a new battery, and about to restart....

Dune

It seems this was the problem. Thanks!

pokoy

Good to know - need to replace mine now that I know the cause  :D

archonforest

digitalguru

can be a gnarly one - I had a machine that blue screened a few minutes after the os loaded until I replaced the battery, then it was fine

Dune

Funny thing is that I forgot to set the time and date again, and in the meantime did some work on an object. Later I needed that object, wanted to find by setting explorer to latest change, and I couldn't find it. Date of the save had been set to the intial bios date (2009)  :P It was all the way to the bottom.

Regarding the chassis intrusion; I now turn the machine off from windows, then switch it off at the back and press the button (to start up), and hold it a second. A faint blue light behind it decreases, which to me seems like draining current residues. I hope that helps to start up properly (without the intrusion warning).