Reflections Quality

Started by WAS, August 08, 2018, 12:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm trying to improve reflection and refraction quality but despite GI settings, 360 crop region, I just get jagged polygons. Also is transparency and refraction fake in TG? Seems close objects, colour, and lighting doesn't interact except in reflections. Additionally, I can't seem to achieve coloured shadows with a sphere (double sided objects?).

MPD 0.6 AA 6 GI Cache 8, GI Quality 8, GI Blur Radius 16, Occlusion Weight 3, Bounce to the Ounce 3, Voxel Scattering Quality 300.

Hannes

For refraction/reflection set the ray detail multiplier (Render/Advanced/Subdiv Settings) to 1. Colored shadows is a different animal. There are no caustics (yet) in TG.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on August 08, 2018, 01:20:21 PM
For refraction/reflection set the ray detail multiplier (Render/Advanced/Subdiv Settings) to 1. Colored shadows is a different animal. There are no caustics (yet) in TG.

Oh cool, I'll check it out, thanks.

I can't wait until we have these features. Even just for semi transparent surfaces like skin like subsurface scattering would be cool. I imagine it could be done by making objects "solid" with "blackness" inside (stopping light) and than being able to apply a scattering shader/default shader which has a "subsurface scattering" feature. Decay distance, maybe light power and colour function. Coupled of course with some sort of transparency shader like default.

Hannes

Well, coloured shadows are possible. Uncheck "cast shadows" of your original object. Make a copy of your object, make it invisible and check "cast shadows". In the opacity slot of your copied object create a default shader and set a value of less than 1. Additionally you can choose some colour. Not the same as real caustics, but with a lightsource placed right above the shadow you can at least fake it...

WAS

Does't work. Already tried duplicating the sphere with a fresh default shader and inverted colour for opacity.  Like I mentioned, may be a issue with objects that are solid (two sides). Dunno.

Hannes

Sorry, I wrote something, that didn't make sense. Create a default shader for the shadow casting object, and in the opacity slot use a value of less than 1.
Try 0.5 for example...

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on August 08, 2018, 04:44:02 PM
Quote from: Hannes on August 08, 2018, 03:16:46 PM
In the opacity slot of your copied object create a default shader and set a value of less than 1

Try 0.5 for example...

My original starting point for glass opacity was 0.1, and still nothing. Tried with 0.5 down to 0.1, all gray. Tried even 0.01.

Hannes

In your screenshot the opacity is still at 1.

Quick, dirty and ugly example below...

WAS

Sorry that was the previous screenshot. I accidentally copied the screenshot instead of saving it I think. But assured, it's 0.1.

Try with Terragen's sphere. That's what I'm using.

WAS

To clarify, it works with a imported sphere. Just not TG's sphere. Interesting.

Also, the reflections on a obj compared to the sphere are a bit different. Brighter.

Hannes

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 08, 2018, 06:42:17 PM
To clarify, it works with a imported sphere. Just not TG's sphere. Interesting.

Confirmed. That's indeed strange... ???

Dune

An internal sphere is a displacable object, an imported sphere is not. Calculations are different, no doubt.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 09, 2018, 01:45:52 AM
An internal sphere is a displacable object, an imported sphere is not. Calculations are different, no doubt.

That would make sense. Instead of using a non displaced object for a fixed shadow, the object is of course displacable and could have any shape, probably has it's own shadow emitter of sorts.

Would also explain the bizarre distortion when I forget it's a TG sphere and try to scale it instead of using it's radius.

luvsmuzik

On the old clunker, did this double sphere, glass shader on sphere. Then applied Hannes' formula for the colored shadow. YAY me! :)
Does the opacity color have to be the bright green for this to work correctly?

WAS I got yours to work okay, but getting messages about a missing ORB?

Hannes

It has to be the complement color for some reason.