RGB Marbles (Clouded Coloured Glass Example)

Started by WAS, August 09, 2018, 01:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Here is a set of three marbles; red, green, and blue. They have simulated volume using a merged glass and default shader, with it's own reflection shader. I wasn't happy with the fact the shadows are black so I used another merge shader with another default shader which serves as a "Shadow Tint" of sorts. Additionally, it can be used as a Environment Tint. For example instead of bright contrasting orbs you could change all the environment tint diffuse colours to a more gray colour, or solid gray to match the gray scene in the example. Or other prominent ambient light sources like the sky.

Funny to note I turned Ray Detail Multiplier from 1 back down to 0.25, but the renders didn't registered, and rendered in perfect quality in contrast to quality settings and took awhile (tint preview is MPD 0.5 AA2). *Shrugs*

Note: I forgot to change the Decay Distance on the Glass Shader in the Red Marble back to 10 after some testing, which is why it looks different. These "Marbles" are more huge sphere. :P The red marble is fixed in the archives. It's also good to note that decay distance plays a role in sphere size.

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 10, 2018, 10:43:00 PM
Some things to note:
Glass Volume & Colour Transparency effects colours and overall translucency
Glass Surface Transparency and Decay Distance effect the glass's actualy volume (Should swap those names). You can lower transparency in the Glass Shader for more volume.
Glass Reflection & Reflection Tint Reflection was set above 1 but creates border anomalies. I notice the reflections aren't much effected by the shadows overlay, but highlights are. So upping highlights to about 2 seems to correct that.
As you may have noticed colours created, and shadow maps created are very sensitive and use dark colours. You can increase colour vibrancy with the Saturation Adjust shader and increasing Saturation above 1.
Shadow & Environment Tint opacity level effects shadows strength but must be compensated for (usually above 1) the shadow map to prevent holes in the object.

WAS

*Reserved*

RGB Marbles in ZIP Format

luvsmuzik

Thanks! Giving it a whirl. :)
Edlt...Works perfectly!

AndyWelder

"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

WAS

Welcome guys, and gals. I'll upload some more examples of different things here with this setup as well.

luvsmuzik

Here is a population of columns with the red material. Obviously the reflection is great as I see the rest of the population in the columns and shadows work too! :)
MPD 6.6 AA 6

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on August 09, 2018, 07:46:39 PM
Here is a population of columns with the red material. Obviously the reflection is great as I see the rest of the population in the columns and shadows work too! :)
MPD 6.6 AA 6

I'm glad I was able to achieve this. It was REALLY bugging me having to add another object. I tried packaging it as one (even though the shadow sphere position would be off) but that didn't work apparently. :P

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

WAS

Pink Lithium Orb :O

bobbystahr

Great stuff Jordan and thanks for sharing...that pink lithium rocks as well...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

RGB Marbles shadows on cyphyr's crystals :)
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24012.msg242486.html#msg242486

I have two suns on this at opposite direction just to see what would happen.

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on August 10, 2018, 01:34:19 PM
RGB Marbles shadows on cyphyr's crystals :)
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24012.msg242486.html#msg242486

I have two suns on this at opposite direction just to see what would happen.

Oh wow, those are pretty! The double lighting is a cool effect.

luvsmuzik

Thanks WAS! I first tried this with 6 marbles (circular formation) and 6 suns. Of course I got a ring of reflection dots on top of the spheres and even at sun strength of 2, very faded. I was trying to make a kaliedscope of the shadows. Do you think blurring the reflection strength would hurt the shadows?

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on August 10, 2018, 01:45:37 PM
Thanks WAS! I first tried this with 6 marbles (circular formation) and 6 suns. Of course I got a ring of reflection dots on top of the spheres and even at sun strength of 2, very faded. I was trying to make a kaliedscope of the shadows. Do you think blurring the reflection strength would hurt the shadows?

I'm not sure actually, I haven't tried. I do know blurring, in the case of blurring a shadow map for one instance, it did increase render time a bit. Though the noise I was blurring was rather detailed and through a few merge shaders.

WAS

Some things to note:
Glass Volume & Colour Transparency effects colours and overall translucency
Glass Surface Transparency and Decay Distance effect the glass's actualy volume (Should swap those names). You can lower transparency in the Glass Shader for more volume.
Glass Reflection & Reflection Tint Reflection was set above 1 but creates border anomalies. I notice the reflections aren't much effected by the shadows overlay, but highlights are. So upping highlights to about 2 seems to correct that.
As you may have noticed colours created, and shadow maps created are very sensitive and use dark colours. You can increase colour vibrancy with the Saturation Adjust shader and increasing Saturation above 1.
Shadow & Environment Tint opacity level effects shadows strength but must be compensated for (usually above 1) the shadow map to prevent holes in the object.

Preview under heavy haze. This setup under a sphere would be much darker due to distance of the volume, which I'll upload in a bit, as I didn't save what I was working on like a derp and just exited without saving. Derp.

Edit: Added