Base Color for Fake Stones Shader

Started by Adions, August 12, 2018, 02:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adions

Hi there,
I am quite neu to the terragen universe. How can I add Colors with some color variation for my Small, Mid and Big Stones? I tried to link the Power fractal Shader but without luck. I would appreciate any help or some tutorials on the shader or node network.

luvsmuzik

Usually you must UNCHECK apply color on the surface layer for your stones. Then connect your powerfractal or new surface layer to the surface option of the stones node.Try the forum search option for help, Try fake stones tutorial, fake stone network, fake stone displacement. for your terms. There are some great files shares also to examine for the "how to"

This one is still up and running. https://www.deviantart.com/bvcastilho3d/art/Terragen2-Good-Rocks-Tutorial-55991897

WAS

Quote from: Adions on August 12, 2018, 02:43:36 PM
Hi there,
I am quite neu to the terragen universe. How can I add Colors with some color variation for my Small, Mid and Big Stones? I tried to link the Power fractal Shader but without luck. I would appreciate any help or some tutorials on the shader or node network.

It's also best to do your fake stones in the Shaders group, unless they're big and super complex. That way colouring isn't reliant on masking. Additionally, you only should have one compute terrain node at the end of your Terrain group. There is no reason to add multiple for each fake stone. And the only reason you'd chain one before displacement would usually be for lateral displacement. You also need different seeds for your stones in order to not cause collision and displacement explosions. You could also try using the Merge Shader with Highest Altitude key being used to mix the stones.

Here's a quick alteration to your second setup.

Adions

Thx for the quick answer. I would like to have 3 Clean Stones Layers. Two of them are clean the Red mask is still not working perfect. Any ideas?

WAS

Quote from: Adions on August 12, 2018, 03:45:23 PM
Thx for the quick answer. I would like to have 3 Clean Stones Layers. Two of them are clean the Red mask is still not working perfect. Any ideas?

Well the "Add Colour" function is not a suitable mask for that fake stone layer.

I honestly don't know what you're trying to achieve with the use of it?

WAS

Here is an example of merging stones instead of masking them. Also a dirty quick example of how I detail stones without exploding them.

Adions

I will try to understand your sugestion. Thx!
The Idea of "Add Color" is to Conbine the two layers (Big and Mid Stones) above and mask them from the third one (Small Stones).

WAS

Quote from: Adions on August 12, 2018, 04:03:08 PM
I will try to understand your sugestion. Thx!
The Idea of "Add Color" is to Conbine the two layers (Big and Mid Stones) above and mask them from the third one (Small Stones).

You might create a better mask isolating the fake stones in a surface layer and using a Displacement to Scalar function. It will create a B/W map of the stones, stones white, nothing black. But it would probably be best to just use the merge shader with highest altitude key...

Adions

Is it possible to show me how to create a cleaner Mask of the first two FakeStones? I couldn`t get it to work with the Displacement to Scalar function. Thx for your scene.

WAS

Quote from: Adions on August 12, 2018, 04:38:31 PM
Is it possible to show me how to create a cleaner Mask of the first two FakeStones? I couldn`t get it to work with the Displacement to Scalar function. Thx for your scene.

You'll need to isolate the fake stone shaders from the rest of the terrain nodes. You'd than need to use a colour adjust shader probably to brighten the rocks masks. Alternatively you can use a colour to grayscale and colour adjust those masks.

The problem with masks is there is a higher likelihood of cut stones.

Dune

Your first methode, with the redirect under the stones also displaces the terrain, so it's better to restrict displacement before the stones. Better still to use different displacement variables for different sizes of stone. For a stone of say 2m, I usually use displacement sizes of 0.5/2/0.01, for a stone of 5m; 1.25/5/0.01, etc.
You can also use offset in the displacement tab to blow up the stones a bit more, but take care not to overdo that.
Here's an adjusted file. Anyway, fake stones are an endless game to play, lots of possibilities.

Adions

Thx for the great community support! It feels almost like home  :)

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 13, 2018, 12:46:12 AM
Your first methode, with the redirect under the stones also displaces the terrain, so it's better to restrict displacement before the stones. Better still to use different displacement variables for different sizes of stone. For a stone of say 2m, I usually use displacement sizes of 0.5/2/0.01, for a stone of 5m; 1.25/5/0.01, etc.
You can also use offset in the displacement tab to blow up the stones a bit more, but take care not to overdo that.
Here's an adjusted file. Anyway, fake stones are an endless game to play, lots of possibilities.

Been using this method for awhile and no where has a separate string of shaders warped has effected the terrain....... Only way that's even possible is if I left the terrain plugged into the stones. It's warping nothing and stones. But I didn't. And the terrain is smooth and untouched. How I do my moon stones, desert stones, etc etc, and sand and dust is alaways intact. Should take a look at my many recent shares incorporating it.

It is in fact the best way to detail fake stones. There is no comparison with offsets and exploded rocks.

Here is an example with extreme 5m displacement on 2.5m rocks. You'll notice the terrain is perfectly flat and left untouched.  Rocks instead of being exploded are simply pushed under the terrain, or become peaky.

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bobbystahr

Agree with cyphyr...always something to learn here...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist