A hobbit hole to Dvorak's 9th Symphony

Started by DocCharly65, August 13, 2018, 05:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

Time to start a new topic for a special scene:
As announced the final Intro of my filmproject will start with a tribute to Peter Jacksons "Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit".

For some easier copyright handling I did some research and listened to hundrets of minutes of music scores. The closest to the original Hobbit Theme and the Lord of the Rings Intro was the second movement "Largo" of the 9th Symphony of Antonín Leopold Dvořák from 1893.

I got the friendly permission for the usage of a converted Midi-File from Jim Paterson, Managing Director, Music Files Ltd.

This is a rough test of whether the length of the individual animations fit into the music as a whole. Later I'll add as unobtrusive natural sounds as possible and the speech of Bilbo Kirk "My dear Frodo ..." I'm really scared of that! ;)

Enjoy it and have fun:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvEpmvBUHi6qgqQkTCVtavxPdcMYMQ

Hannes

BRILLANT!!!!!!!!! And the music fits perfectly!

sboerner

Great fun! Love the cell phone. Nice blending between foreground and TG background, animation. Music is a good fit. Can't wait to see where this leads.

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on August 13, 2018, 05:02:16 AM
Time to start a new topic for a special scene:
As announced the final Intro of my filmproject will start with a tribute to Peter Jacksons "Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit".

For some easier copyright handling I did some research and listened to hundrets of minutes of music scores. The closest to the original Hobbit Theme and the Lord of the Rings Intro was the second movement "Largo" of the 9th Symphony of Antonín Leopold Dvořák from 1893.

I got the friendly permission for the usage of a converted Midi-File from Jim Paterson, Managing Director, Music Files Ltd.

This is a rough test of whether the length of the individual animations fit into the music as a whole. Later I'll add as unobtrusive natural sounds as possible and the speech of Bilbo Kirk "My dear Frodo ..." I'm really scared of that! ;)

Enjoy it and have fun:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvEpmvBUHi6qgqQkTCVtavxPdcMYMQ

Tinker-fairy is such a cute addition to the scene. Brings it to life. Love the moving book too.

One of my favorite scores, actually. I do have to say though considering it is a tribute piece, and I'm assuming non-for-profit, you could use LOTR/Star Trek music. For example, my friend composed and produced this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN1B1kxwpLo

Dune

DocCharly65

Thank you everybody :)

First I want to thank Matt for his support in a special requirement. The scene would not be as it is without him... but I want to keep the secret for a while not to spoil the little surprise. But for extraordinarily clever and attentive observers everything is already there and hidden visibly. ;)

Jordan, this is a beautiful piece of music. Greetings and my respect to your friend! I gave up musik making about 4 years ago but what you say is absolutely correct. I had to declare my project not only as non-profit - I had to declare it as non-commercial. That means no fee from anybody for nothing - not even financial help for e.g. a new PC or things like that. But that does not really bother me.

In the deepest back of my brain I have ideas for a kind of "crossover" between Dvoraks' music and some LoR themes. I hope that I'll find the time to get my Midi-Keyboard running - last time when I tried I had big latency problems and was to lazy to try all the possible drivers. And when I moved to my new flat my old Korg Trinity couldn't come with me... not enough space... (and my missing interest to that hobby at that time) :(

Who knows - Maybe one day I will have an order for your friend (unfortunately only honorary). But my ambition actually dictates that I should be able to handle the film music myself. The synchro voices, however, already require a departure from this intent. Let's see what happens :)

Not to forget it: - just some new model credits:
The fairy, the rabbit, the butterfies and the goat by 3DRT.com
Bottle brandy Vecchia Romagna from archive.net
Compass by Medievalworlds on Turbosquid
Nokia 8800 Mobile Phone by HD_modelling (I think it was on Turbosquid)
The medieval parchment scroll by ieva-lickiene on CGTrader

I found several blueprints in the www to "corelpaint" them into "Historical documents about the last big spaceships" as the scrolls texture.
(to "corelpaint" is the affordable synonym for "to photoshop something" ;)  )

DocCharly65

Only some additional absolutely unimportant nonsense but hopefully entertaining:

The Minbary scroll contains the original monologue from the Babylon 5 Pilot spoken by "Londo Mollari"

The Klingon scroll contains a virtual translation of the klingon original Hamlet by "General Martok Shakespear"
(of course in the original medieval english pirate copy)

The Human race scroll contains the speech of William Adama from the Galactica prequel "Caprica"

otakar

That's just Groovy! You are amazing. Ah, the music...

And I have to say, Caprica was great. So sad it was canned...

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on August 14, 2018, 02:23:07 AM
Only some additional absolutely unimportant nonsense but hopefully entertaining:

The Minbary scroll contains the original monologue from the Babylon 5 Pilot spoken by "Londo Mollari"

The Klingon scroll contains a virtual translation of the klingon original Hamlet by "General Martok Shakespear"
(of course in the original medieval english pirate copy)

The Human race scroll contains the speech of William Adama from the Galactica prequel "Caprica"

This makes me happy. I miss Babylon 5. Galactica was great too. Man Syfy basically flooated off Galactica for awhile when Stargate and Atlantis ended.

masonspappy

DocCharly65

Thank you all :)

Soon I can test if the whole Intro scene works :)

DocCharly65

...works ;)

have fun with the actual (almost) final version of the intro: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvEpmvBUHi6qgqQ6m2yg3c6v2S2wtQ

The renders and the cut are final. I'll invest some more work in the sound quality of the Dvorak midi file - but tempo and position fit extremely good.
...seems that the Star Trek fanfare works quite well with Dvoraks music if it's transposed one semitone lower 😊

Later I'll add some more details like nature sounds and the starships motor sound. The effort to integrate it unobtrusively and appropriate must not be underestimated. And of course the storyteller of the movie must start the story.

Thanks to Matt and Oshyan for their permission to use the Terragen and Planetside logos in the intro (I modelled them in Blender)

Having this intro now commits me to something completely different:
Some of you perhaps remember the idea with the Paramount parody.

This is how it looks like so far:
[attach=1]

The thick unattractive and obtrusive letters from the post-editing are no longer appropriate. And since I learned that easy button "Text" in Wings 3D it's no big problem any more to render nice titles in TG too. So this will be the new one (I added a minimum of Starburst effect to get a good combination of Godrays and Starburst:

I think this version with the more filigrane letters is better:
[attach=2]

...and now waiting again... (1.5 h per frame / 600 frames) But anyway enough other animations to finish - And besides: The old version was rendered with TG3 and needed 3 h per frame! ;)

Oshyan

Unbelievable!! I know you have a lot of fun with this, joke around a lot, etc. but this is stunning work. Honestly that transition from the overgrown starship/hobbit hole to the ship in space was gorgeous! Well-conceived, and superbly executed. Not to mention all the amazing detail, and surprisingly well-handled rendering of interior/exterior, animation, etc, etc. Really, this is already a stunning achievement in my opinion.

It feels funny to say since I didn't write Terragen, but still, I am honored (or at least very pleased) that you chose it to create this epic work of passion, creativity, and amusement! Truly. :)

- Oshyan