Incremental File Saving disabling

Started by WAS, August 13, 2018, 04:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Sometimes I open another instance of TG just for preview purposes when responding to topics or requests for help. I notice lately, for some reason in latest build, that when I do this, incremental saving gets disabled for some reason. Keep having to re-enable it. At least that's the only instance I can imagine TG for some reason disabling it.

Oshyan

Do you ever intentionally disable it, or otherwise adjust that setting? I.e. have you messed with that setting *at all* since you set it? Running multiple instances should be fine, but there can be complications if you change preferences in one while the other is running. I get that you're saying it seems to change itself, but it would be helpful to know if you literally never change that setting, or if you do sometimes, but don't think you're doing it *in these particular cases*.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on August 13, 2018, 05:44:36 PM
Do you ever intentionally disable it, or otherwise adjust that setting? I.e. have you messed with that setting *at all* since you set it? Running multiple instances should be fine, but there can be complications if you change preferences in one while the other is running. I get that you're saying it seems to change itself, but it would be helpful to know if you literally never change that setting, or if you do sometimes, but don't think you're doing it *in these particular cases*.

- Oshyan

No, I used to set it and forget it in previous builds. This happened out of the blue when opening a couple instances for help with rock issue, than I went to work on my refraction shader thingy and noticed I was just saving in the same file, and it was just randomly disabled. This happened one more time in the same day.

Oshyan

Strange indeed. Well let us know if you run across any specific set of actions that reliably reproduces it. I use multiple instances a lot here and haven't seen the problem so without any other details it seems like I probably won't be able to reproduce. But I'll keep an eye out for it.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on August 19, 2018, 02:57:24 PM
Strange indeed. Well let us know if you run across any specific set of actions that reliably reproduces it. I use multiple instances a lot here and haven't seen the problem so without any other details it seems like I probably won't be able to reproduce. But I'll keep an eye out for it.

- Oshyan

Wonder if the settings being reset weren't saving properly because other instances open without those settings being changed, and then those projects being saves possibly also triggering settings to be cached which were opened without incramenetal? I dunno. It was strange. I've just been not opening multiple instances atm.

Oshyan

That's what I was asking about though. Yes, if you make Preferences changes to one instance but it is not the *last* instance closed, then likely the Preferences will be overwritten by whatever is last closed.

- Oshyan