Chromatic Refractions

Started by WAS, August 14, 2018, 02:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Testing some reflection techniques. Making a material that responds to light differently. Strong colours are unfortunately the challenge under daylight conditions. They become more pastel. Done a lot to try and correct it to no avail. Really wanted red to stand out more.

Still, the effect is quite amazing.

DocCharly65

Amazing and cool experiment!
This can be useful for renders with a specuial focus on objects, like the renders of Dragonfire.

Hannes

Very interesting! Looks amazing. Looking forward to your explanation... ;) ;) ;)

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on August 14, 2018, 02:27:30 AM
Amazing and cool experiment!
This can be useful for renders with a specuial focus on objects, like the renders of Dragonfire.

It's probably certainly possible. The colour grading is done in a "RGB" manner. Which provides smooth-ish colour transitions. Mixing up those colours seems to change not only the order of refraction but the colour mixing. In the second image the colours are Red, Orange, and White, but as you can see the order seems to have changed, or just the mixing in general.

luvsmuzik

These are quite wonderful! It seems to be a work around process similar to where some software incorporates an HDR image (maybe not, but have seen similar effects) Ever use Blade Pro environments and throw the dice? Back in the day of buttons and bars.....hehehe   :) I know many of you did not like that stuff, but many of us loved it and still do! :)

bobbystahr

Great work Jordan, I'm guessing we'll be seeing a .tgc of this technique in the near future, hopefully.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on August 14, 2018, 08:52:00 AM
These are quite wonderful! It seems to be a work around process similar to where some software incorporates an HDR image (maybe not, but have seen similar effects) Ever use Blade Pro environments and throw the dice? Back in the day of buttons and bars.....hehehe   :) I know many of you did not like that stuff, but many of us loved it and still do! :)

I haven't used Blade Pro. I have used Bryce, though.

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 14, 2018, 09:56:15 AM
Great work Jordan, I'm guessing we'll be seeing a .tgc of this technique in the near future, hopefully. More a orange under low light and pale orange under high light.

Yeah pretty soon. I was hopeing to figure out how to bring out the reds more but it may just not be possible in high light.

The technique in general is quite interesting, and could possibly be exploiting a bug, but if it is, it's a bug that doesn't really interfere with anything else, and can achieve this beautiful look.