Command line option to set number of CPUs to use

Started by daudvyd, August 14, 2018, 11:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daudvyd

Even when TERRAGEN's command line process (tgdcli.exe) is set to LOW priority in Windows 10, my six-processor computer is difficult to use during rendering. Is there a command line switch to set the process to use only five CPUs and not all six? If not, is there any other way to stop the process from freezing my computer during daytime hours?

KlausK

Take a look at the "Docs" folder of your TG installation.
There is a "win_command_line.txt" file with instructions for windows computers.
Also, when you open your "Preferences" in TG right on the first page of the Property Page "Startup" you can set the number of cores TG is allowed to use. Hope that helps.

ps: For a first time poster a "hello" would be nice. So, no "welcome to the forum" from me this time  ;)
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

daudvyd

Thanks KlausK. The "-threads" argument corrected the problem. And yes, that was my first post and I should indeed introduce myself. I'm Da'ud (aka David) based in the U.S. and Israel. I'm new to Terragen and am experimenting with science fiction scenes and HDR output by combining multiple renders. I'll share results either here or on the 3D landscape and Terragen specific Facebook pages.

Dune

So, welcome to forum. Glad to have you on board, and if you have any questions, this is the best place to be. Forget about Facebook  8)

ajcgi

There's a book of FACES?!  :o
That -threads switch is a handy one to know. Hadn't even thought of looking for that.
Welcome!

KlausK

Glad it worked for you. Welcome and looking forward seeing your artwork.
CHeers, Klaus

/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)