First HDR Experiment

Started by daudvyd, August 14, 2018, 07:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daudvyd

LANDSCAPE: Terragen 4. PROCESSING: Aurora HDR. NOTES: I'd like to learn how to render and process the sky separate from the landscape. This image might also be improved with clumps of grass. Right now, the green and brown are just built-in shaders. Please excuse cross-posting.

N-drju

If you want to create HDRIs, then I believe it is beneficial (if not straightforwardly recommended) to render both sky and land in one go. HDRIs source lighting information from sky, land, surfaces and bounced light, so separating these items may have detrimental effect on the image's accuracy.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

ajcgi

Quote from: daudvyd on August 14, 2018, 07:34:57 PM
LANDSCAPE: Terragen 4. PROCESSING: Aurora HDR. NOTES: I'd like to learn how to render and process the sky separate from the landscape. This image might also be improved with clumps of grass. Right now, the green and brown are just built-in shaders. Please excuse cross-posting.

Get a Render Layers node and Plug that into the centre input of your render node. On the Render Elements tab, select surface RGB, Atmosphere RGB and Cloud RGB. Those three added together will give you the beauty. For them to render out, you need Extra Output Images ticked and a path defined in the Sequence/Output tab of the render node.

Oshyan

Render Elements should properly account for the info in the other elements, e.g. a separate cloud element will still be receiving lighting from the ground and atmosphere, it's just separated in the output.

- Oshyan