Cloud GI quality, Sequence quality

Started by DutchDimension, August 15, 2018, 05:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchDimension

Hi there,

does the parameter 'Cloud GI quality' (Render node->Quality tab->GI Settings->GI in Clouds tab) affect the quality of the GI cache? I can see it has a significant effect when rendering the actual image sequence, but was wondering if it also increases the accuracy (as well as reduce flickering) in the GI cache itself.
To put it another way, would it be prudent to set this parameter accordingly when generating the GI cache files?

I'm trying to reduce flickering in my clouds for a 150 frame 2K shot I'm working on.

Cheers!

Oshyan

Cloud GI Quality only affects v3 clouds. Meanwhile the GI Cache does *not* cache v3 cloud GI as of yet. So set Cloud GI higher if you're using v3 clouds and getting flicker. Note that the GI cache and environment lighting in general *do* affect v3 clouds, so if you are not using caching and getting flicker, the first thing to do is enable the cache and see how much it helps with flicker overall, before increasing the Cloud GI too much. This will allow you to only increase Cloud GI to the minimum amount necessary to get rid of your flicker from the cloud lighting solution changes between frames, rather than from a lack of cached+blended environment GI. Does that make sense?

- Oshyan

DutchDimension

Quote from: Oshyan on August 19, 2018, 03:11:47 PM
Cloud GI Quality only affects v3 clouds. Meanwhile the GI Cache does *not* cache v3 cloud GI as of yet. So set Cloud GI higher if you're using v3 clouds and getting flicker. Note that the GI cache and environment lighting in general *do* affect v3 clouds, so if you are not using caching and getting flicker, the first thing to do is enable the cache and see how much it helps with flicker overall, before increasing the Cloud GI too much. This will allow you to only increase Cloud GI to the minimum amount necessary to get rid of your flicker from the cloud lighting solution changes between frames, rather than from a lack of cached+blended environment GI. Does that make sense?

- Oshyan

It sure does. Thanks Oshyan. I would like to know more about to what extend  GI caching does affect v3 clouds if they are not supported by the caching mechanism.

Oshyan

The cache is of the environment, which v3 clouds do take account of, so to the degree that the *environment* indirect lighting might be flickering, the GI cache will help that.

- Oshyan