Brass Shaders - How do these look?

Started by WAS, August 15, 2018, 02:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

How do these brass shaders look?

From top left: Polished Brass, Matt Brass, Oxidized & Tarnish/Grime Polished Brass, Heavily Tarnished Brass, Heavily Tarnished & Oxidized Brass.

I feel the heavily tarnished could use some more specular, and darker "smudges". Not sure.

luvsmuzik

Those are great WAS, but check out Hannes' library too. I am sure yours are unique and done in your own special way, but already have a few similar in the brasses. :)  I am sure you are making your own library as you go, as I am adding folders and subfolders of your clips.....you know a ready on the spot source for stuff. Really appreciate all the work you are sharing! :)

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on August 15, 2018, 05:20:12 PM
Those are great WAS, but check out Hannes' library too. I am sure yours are unique and done in your own special way, but already have a few similar in the brasses. :)  I am sure you are making your own library as you go, as I am adding folders and subfolders of your clips.....you know a ready on the spot source for stuff. Really appreciate all the work you are sharing! :)

I am indeed making my own library. Some of Hanne's work is great. For example I struggled with gold until I took a look at hanes chromatic reflection settings. I am just really OCD, which makes using anyone's resources hard for me. I'm immediately needing to change everything, to the point I might as well do it myself. Which I've started to do. In fact, when people put out certain new ideas I'll make it a challenge to do it myself based on how I think it's working. Or of I'm stumped, ask for a node shot. :P

Would love some C&C on these as working on all the types and between images, ideas get muddled I feel due to single tones and lots of staring.

The polished oxidized brass was based on old Chinese brass-age stuff.

luvsmuzik

I just thought it was neat the the forum finally added a topic heading in File Sharing for Materials so there was a more narrow starting place for dummies like me and newbies to see examples and clips or file shares to download.
Some of us know the colors, finish, and texture we want, but often a search for "glass shader" gave you either 200 results or none.
I was often called "the organizer" so I know what you mean about OCD, but add in "scatterbrain". That's me. Very hard to interrupt the creativity on my end, I have to go back and organize it later. :) Carry on! :) :) :)

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on August 15, 2018, 05:41:07 PM
I just thought it was neat the the forum finally added a topic heading in File Sharing for Materials so there was a more narrow starting place for dummies like me and newbies to see examples and clips or file shares to download.
Some of us know the colors, finish, and texture we want, but often a search for "glass shader" gave you either 200 results or none.
I was often called "the organizer" so I know what you mean about OCD, but add in "scatterbrain". That's me. Very hard to interrupt the creativity on my end, I have to go back and organize it later. :) Carry on! :) :) :)

I remember when I first started using Terragen 2 I used a lot of clips to work off of cause when I did things myself I just had no idea about colour contrasts, softness, and all that, and just made really hard contrasting colours and it just looked off. I've since at least got the hang of it. Ironically it's a lot like the colour detailing and stuff I'd make out of photoshops cloud noise and difference layers.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 15, 2018, 02:15:25 PM

From top left: Polished Brass, Matt Brass, Oxidized & Tarnish/Grime Polished Brass, Heavily Tarnished Brass, Heavily Tarnished & Oxidized Brass.

I feel the heavily tarnished could use some more specular, and darker "smudges". Not sure.

Weelll I'd debate the polished brass being polished enough but I was an honour guard air cadet and you could shave in our boots and brass heh heh, but the other 4 live up to their names.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 15, 2018, 08:56:38 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on August 15, 2018, 02:15:25 PM

Weelll I'd debate the polished brass being polished enough but I was an honour guard air cadet and you could shave in our boots and brass heh heh, but the other 4 live up to their names.

See that's what I was actually thinking too. It looked a little dull no? If you were to polish that and show it to your instructor, would he not ask for more buffing? lol

WAS

How does this look Bobby? I altered the colour slightly to be a tad brassier, as with the upped chrome it was hard to distinguish from gold imo. Though maybe I'm wrong. I've seen brass in gold as well as coppery brass.

Edit: For contrast, here is Hanne's gold added to the same shader ball. Definitely different. Which is good. Was looking a lot like just gold. His displacement doesn't seem to look good at these quality settings and scale but nevermind that.

Hannes

Cool stuff! I especially like the rusty worn brass materials.
But I agree, it might be good to put your materials to the (sticky) Materials thread in the file sharing section, so that they're easier to find.

N-drju

You are doing wonderful job with these. It's almost like looking on the DAZ Studio material ball - and that is a compliment, because there are tons of them.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on August 16, 2018, 01:46:16 AM
Cool stuff! I especially like the rusty worn brass materials.
But I agree, it might be good to put your materials to the (sticky) Materials thread in the file sharing section, so that they're easier to find.

Was actually keeping them easier to find for myself by having them in my posted threads page in my profile that I use to refer to my other past shares (my memory is beginning to fial due to a neurological disease as well as other crap with my brain so I've been havin to create systems). I have my own texture/material gallery that keeps things separate to my own stuff. Some materials can have a whole page of responses which actually make it harder to go through the thread to find stuff, which is why I started a new one for my own. I actually wish I could lock it to only my posts xD

archonforest

Wow very nice shaders! The rust one looks very real.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Agura Nata

New materials for my crazy works, always here I am looking forward to it!
"Live and Learn!"

DocCharly65

Cool!
That will be a great addition to any texture library.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 16, 2018, 12:09:55 AM
How does this look Bobby? I altered the colour slightly to be a tad brassier, as with the upped chrome it was hard to distinguish from gold imo. Though maybe I'm wrong. I've seen brass in gold as well as coppery brass.

Edit: For contrast, here is Hanne's gold added to the same shader ball. Definitely different. Which is good. Was looking a lot like just gold. His displacement doesn't seem to look good at these quality settings and scale but nevermind that.

Nice edit, I'm convinced...well done.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist