What actually happens when Terragen makes a TGO?

Started by WAS, August 19, 2018, 06:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I was starting to prepare my brass shaders in a project file for sharing, and I decided to use TGO for the sake of filesize over the 23mb OBJ. But I noticed immediately with a test render that the textures wrap right on the fake of the object unlike before, appearing procedural uniformly.

First image is TGO, second is OBJ.

It's a little depressing to see honestly. Even when rotating the original setups and checking different lighting there wasn't repetition present. And yes, they do use Final Position, but I'm curious what the actual differences are.

Edit: Woops, no, it looks like final position wasn't on as I rebuild the setup piping into the parts and just never checked off final position, and than copied that setup. Still curious why there is such a vast size difference? Is the TGO a compressed OBJ with additional shader info?

Oshyan

TGO is a modified OBJ format, yes. It includes the shader network though, as you know, which is a non-compatible extension to the base OBJ format.

- Oshyan

Matt

It isn't a modified OBJ format, it's a binary file format that stores all of the data necessary to load an object into Terragen with associated material/shaders.

It's smaller than OBJ because it's binary rather than ASCII and it's also compressed internally.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on August 19, 2018, 11:26:25 PM
It isn't a modified OBJ format, it's a binary file format that stores all of the data necessary to load an object into Terragen with associated material/shaders.

It's smaller than OBJ because it's binary rather than ASCII and it's also compressed internally.

Quote from: Oshyan on August 19, 2018, 11:12:41 PM
TGO is a modified OBJ format, yes. It includes the shader network though, as you know, which is a non-compatible extension to the base OBJ format.

- Oshyan

Oh I see, thanks guys! I love the filesize. Lol Love that it is also compatible with further compression with archive formats.

Oshyan

Whoops, hah, even I still have more to learn. :D

- Oshyan