Smoothing Object Edges

Started by WAS, August 20, 2018, 02:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm trying to make an ingot in blender. I want to smooth the corners of the ingot. I looked everywhere and everyone says to just subdivide. So I tried both blender and poseray and both seem to ignore the issue I want to subdivide. Additionally i tried smoothing, but that had no effect either. Is it just the way the ingot geometry intersects? And I mean I really subdivided, up to a 250mb (original 13mb) simple geometric shape xD

Uploaded an example of the uneffected creases.

I've been looking for a basic ingot shape for SOOO long. And they're all for sale when it's a basic geometric shape. Haha. Really need to get better at modelling. This result doesn't interact with reflections well because of it's imperfections.

Oshyan

I would guess this is a fundamental issue with the structure of the model and perhaps the resulting normals. But I'm no modeling expert.

- Oshyan

PabloMack

Perhaps it is an artifact of the render and not the model. Did you try rendering the same model with a different renderer, say with Terragen? How many times are you subdividing a 90° curve?

masonspappy

Actually you need to combine the smoothing and subdivision steps.  (Subdivide, then smooth).  And you shouldn't need such drastic subdivision as you describe.
Attached zip file contains Gold Brick.blend file that shows modeling and texturing for gold bar (Textures included) , plus OBJ model for basic ingot shape as rendered in Terragen and Gold_Brick.OBJ model of gold brick with subdivision, smoothing and texture applied and rendered in Terragen.  See if it works for you on your system
P.S. You might also want to check to be sure that "soft shadows" is turned on and  resolution is set to around four (or higher). If the soft shadowing is off and the render resolution is low then it's very possible that black patches will appear on the object.