No texture stretching on vertical surfaces?

Started by N-drju, August 20, 2018, 04:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

What should I do, in order to avoid this nasty stretching that occurs by default when you paint on vertical or close to vertical surfaces? So that the surface looks just as it was painted on a flat plane?

[attach=1]
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

The stretching is occurring on the displacement, it's not due to the Painted Shader. The Painted Shader is basically just dealing with the surface that exists there as it is (already very long, stretched polygons due to the vertical displacement), it can't "fix" the existing stretching issue. So you need to find a way to make a square like this without the stretching if you want the Painted Shader to work better here.

- Oshyan

N-drju

I'm asking about any method to achieve this and it doesn't have to be based on the painted shader. This is just a picture of what the problem looks like...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

You need another compute terrain or XYZ shader.

N-drju

Besides - I don't want to invent new methods to make a terrain. The cube is just a stark, extreme example of what happens. My intended topography is not even close to it.

All I need is a non-stretched, procedural texture on a regular-made terrain. Not cubes or spheres replacing the land... ::)

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on August 21, 2018, 02:00:11 AM
You need another compute terrain or XYZ shader.

Alright, I'll try that. Though I think I never used the XYZ before...

Dune

Experiment with it, it's VERY useful in a lot of circumstances.

N-drju

Um, wait... but do you mean "Tex Coords From XYZ" or just "XYZ shader"? :P

Dune

N-drju

Okay, so I added this shader, tried various connection points and nothing at all changes. How am I supposed to use it?

Dune

This is basically what it does, recalculates the texture coordinates. So if you disable 'Tex' you'll see the horizontal stripes going.

N-drju

After a few tests I made, I believe this post is a non-issue. ???

The extreme texture stretching seems to happen only when the walls / terrain is completely vertial (like, 90 degree).

I created a well-contrasted fractal and then added an SSS-masked terrain (with 3-5% smooth step) for the fractal texture to "climb" on. There was no stretching... I did not even have to do any adjustments.

So I think the unwanted stretching occurs only in case of 100% vertical slopes. Which is, sort of, understandable.

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on October 02, 2018, 02:01:40 AM
After a few tests I made, I believe this post is a non-issue. ???

The extreme texture stretching seems to happen only when the walls / terrain is completely vertial (like, 90 degree).

I created a well-contrasted fractal and then added an SSS-masked terrain (with 3-5% smooth step) for the fractal texture to "climb" on. There was no stretching... I did not even have to do any adjustments.

So I think the unwanted stretching occurs only in case of 100% vertical slopes. Which is, sort of, understandable.

Curious question, how would you go about doing this when the texture masking is a mask?

I'm trying to mix strata angles, and it seemed to have been working when the slope was not as vertical, but not I can't get any mixing, it's just a bunch of one direction strata despite a VERY hard contrast mix. Which too me makes me think that only one of the mixing sides is being stretched over the whole of the vertical face.

N-drju

Umm, are you just mixing texture or do you actually try to mix geometry / terrain?

I have that bell ringing in my head each time someone talks about "extreme values". TG does not handle them well and your and mine example just makes me think that 90 degree slopes are just another point in case in regards to such "extreme" values.

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on October 02, 2018, 05:04:06 PM
Umm, are you just mixing texture or do you actually try to mix geometry / terrain?

I have that bell ringing in my head each time someone talks about "extreme values". TG does not handle them well and your and mine example just makes me think that 90 degree slopes are just another point in case in regards to such "extreme" values.

I would imagine that is the case. Lateral displacement in general has some issues. Even when using exacting texture displacement based on images, lateral displacement can have anomalies when following the terrain normal.

And yes this is mixing two strata shaders which are than applied to terrain via child inheritance. I did have a nice mix going on, zig zag shapes, straight strata, tilted zones in -15 degrees and 15 degrees, but once I made my cliffs more cliffy I got only one of the mixes present predominantly.

Additionally there is the issue of the stretching lines on vertical, which with strata become numbered in the hundreds of thousands X whatever your viewport is. Lol