Mars in Miniature

Started by RArcher, October 15, 2007, 11:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RArcher

Was just messing about this evening and came up with this one.  Gives me a great feeling of scale, like you are a few inches above the ground in a Martian environment.  I was going to render it at higher quality as it was supposed to be my preview (0.5 detail, 5AA, 1/1 GI), but I'm not sure it would keep the nice fuzziness at high quality.

dhavalmistry

too much of blur.....although the foreground looks good...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Volker Harun

rcallicotte

I like your terrain and colors.  The background blur is cool, in my opinion, but I'm not sure about the other.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

sflynn

Your lighting and colors are fantastic as always.

Maybe a more gradual blur? I like it as is anyway. Nice work, again!

efflux

Nice picture. The colours and surfaces are really good. I think for that blur to be convincing you'd have to be much closer to the ground. With the scale of things it doesn't look like you are close enough.

rcallicotte

I agree with efflux.  I like the blur for the mountains in the very far distant background.  Otherwise, the other is sort of unrealistic.

RArcher

Thanks for all the comments.  The idea wasn't to get any sort of realism, but to instead go for a sort of Tilt-Shift photographic affect in the foreground whereby it makes the rocks and landscape seem like miniature models.  I am trying this sort of affect with my next render as well, I think it will work out a little better.

Tilt-shift Photographic Examples (not mine)
http://hame.ca/blog3/tiltshift/gallery/littleboats.php

more:
http://hame.ca/blog3/tiltshift/

rcallicotte

I haven't seen this used as a medium for artistic photography.  What is generating the interest?

efflux

My feeling is that in a photo this might give strange and unusual effects especially since the viewer will often immediately recognize it as a photo but the trouble in TG2 is that people will think it simply looks like a DOF creation mistake.

RArcher

Calico:  It absolutely is a form of artistic photography.  It is not huge but it is big enough that there are at least a dozen or so specialized tilt-shift lens available.  I find most of the photo's in this style fascinating, but maybe that is just me.

Efflux:  I fear you may be right, but it is unfortunate that the conventions and open mindedness  with photography cannot always be applied to 3D Landscape / Modeling images as well.  Most of the time with my renders I am trying to create scenes of places that do not exist and then share them not unlike sharing a photograph with a viewer.  Things are definitely changing but I wish that digital creations would lose the stigma of not being artistic expression a little quicker.

efflux

Yes, you can do whatever you want and I'm not saying that this technique is not fine to use but the viewer has preconvieved ideas about what a photo looks like. Actually very accurate ideas even if they don't realize it because we're so used to looking at photos. It's just something to bear in mind.

bigben

It's an essential technique of large format photography, especially for closeups. A standard lens for a 4x5" camera is around 150-180mm so the DOF is quite small and lens movements are required to shift the plane of focus to cover the subject as much as possible.

Now there's a challenge for you HB, a wedge shaped DOF mask   ;)

...and nice image RArcher  :)

sjefen

Good work. It looks nice, but I also think it has too much blur. I think blur is best suited for clouse up scenes.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB