WIP Birch Hill Project

Started by bobbystahr, August 28, 2018, 11:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

This image uses 3 of the trees in populations from the package I've linked below. I've put it here as this image is my new project. Inspired by a low camera angle render and realized I'd never messed with that so C&C are welcome if not necessary.

models from here:
https://www.viz-people.com/portfolio/free-3d-models-trees/
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Trees and setting are very good already. Light-shadow distribution should be so that a central point of attention is created, perhaps with something else happening in that spot of light; some animal, a rock with some flowers, part of a ruin...
For an image this close-up, you could also experiment with the trunks (only) being forcefully displaced (if you have a good bumpmap, or can make one). Depends on number of polys.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on August 29, 2018, 01:58:22 AM
Trees and setting are very good already. Light-shadow distribution should be so that a central point of attention is created, perhaps with something else happening in that spot of light; some animal, a rock with some flowers, part of a ruin...
For an image this close-up, you could also experiment with the trunks (only) being forcefully displaced (if you have a good bumpmap, or can make one). Depends on number of polys.

Thanks man, pretty much what I thought(forced displacement), at least on the pop closest to the camera as that way I can up the bump on the more distant ones and I only have to duplicate 1 pop.  As well I'll punch a few holes in the pops and see where the sun shines and as I have higher quality decrepit stuff I'll add some of that and I think a scattering of dandilions
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

What a lovely birch model. It looks fantastic to my eyes. The settings, grass, and trees look great, my only consideration; perhaps there could be some younger trees in the mix with thinner trunks? Being a new growth tree, the old guys are somewhat rare.

You'll notice in this old-growth birch grove, they're starting to die out while the new guys start to establish: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-09uFxHZEOgk/UqDXxQ7ebjI/AAAAAAAABhk/XP_2WAg0rhg/s1600/Silver+Birch+Tree+-+Betula+Pendula+00.jpg

But when you look at a lot of the birch forests around, they tend to by on the thin side: https://www.google.com/search?q=birch+tree+forest&client=firefox-b-1-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwin5abkzZHdAhXSFzQIHQtwBmAQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=966#imgrc=_4TPBSg3CckQfM:

The foliage on these guys is a little low for a grove but they still look really nice. Just love the texture they came with, would definitely love to see some sort of displacement. I might be able to help generate something for ya.

WAS

Another suggestion I thought of while I I kept looking at this. Perhaps you could distribute your trees  with a PF (if not already) that has a hard contrast, and than invert that PF with a colour adjust for your grass distribution. Like the hard canopy directly under the trees prevents the grass from growing happily. May add to the naturalism of the grass growth.

Quick example for reference in case I'm not conveying myself right.

DocCharly65

Very nice birch model and beautiful ambience! :)
Ulcos idea with trunks and a kind of highlighted center of action is good.

KlausK

Ha, that`s a even nicer pov looking uphill.
The trees look very good to me. Except the one on the left in the front.
The blocky trunks kind of give them away too much as 3D models, I think.
Maybe this one could be turned or altered somehow.

And I echo the comments about the "center" of the image.
It looks very dark and not really like the point of interest to me as a viewer.
A more pronounced distribution of light would surely help.
I wonder where you take this.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

luvsmuzik

Yes, a little too uniform, but please continue. Great start!

bobbystahr

Thanks everyone, it was just me testing out some models and this was only 3 of the 18. I have them all converted now and there are some much smaller ones and different shapes so when my CORSAIR is back up I'll continue this on a machine with adequate RAM for the pops
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

cocateho26

These trees, are awesome, good find!

Lady of the Lake

Thanks for the link to the great trees.