Aspen grove

Started by cocateho26, August 31, 2018, 10:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cocateho26

This is a complete rework of an old project using the birch models that Bobby posted to make "aspens" (just changed the leaves really). I do intend on tweaking some things, the sunburst came out a bit strong and I need more ground cover veggies at least.

It's been a long time since I've posted on here, I think somehow my account got deleted as it said no account was registered with my email and I just hadn't gotten around to making a new one yet. I'll have to post some of my more recent stuff soon as well. I've been seeing some really good stuff on here though!

Lady of the Lake

Like the trees a lot.  (The sunburst is a little too strong for my taste though.)

luvsmuzik

You are correct. You don't post enough! Nice concept and I like the tree leaf color variation and the fern variation.  :)

archonforest

Wow! What a beautiful tree!!
Nice render.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

What a lovely aspen tree, it blends so nicely as it clumps in the distance. I agree on the sunburst, maybe a little softer. The colour variation is a bit strong on the foliage too, maybe a softer contrast like 0.25 or 0.125? Overall though liking this a lot.

DocCharly65

Very nice :)

Yepp - a little less sunburst and perhaps set to less smoothing the sunburst?

bobbystahr

Nicely done and great kit bashing on those birch trees...with them I think there are 6 groups of 3 with High Medium and Lower poly versions though I haven't actually checked this.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

cocateho26

Toned down the sunburst and the color contrast, also added more grass and some mountains in the back. I think this is a "semi" final. It needs a focus but I haven't figured out what to add yet.

Bobby - I had no idea any were lower poly, they all look pretty good to me, but who knows I haven't looked at all of them yet. The ones I've used so far seem at least high quality "enough".

DocCharly65

Dune

Indeed. I think you need some more (flowering) grasses and low shrubs, distributed in patches.

masonspappy

It's a lovely image! I've been studying it for a while now and wonder what it would look like with God rays?

bobbystahr

Even better but I'd heed Dune's advice....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

sboerner

The low angle and slightly off-kilter framing work really well. Puts the viewer in the scene. The air is pure, it's a crystal clear day and the lighting is natural and lovely. Maybe move the camera slightly left or right so the main tree isn't partially blocking the tree behind it? (Or move one of the trees.) Echo Dune's comments about the ground cover.

bobbystahr

Quote from: cocateho26 on September 02, 2018, 11:11:32 PM

Bobby - I had no idea any were lower poly, they all look pretty good to me, but who knows I haven't looked at all of them yet. The ones I've used so far seem at least high quality "enough".

Well I haven't inspected them by poly but I was guessing by file size, subsequent tests have proved me wrong as close up renders show no difference in quality.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

cocateho26

Tried the image with the new path tracing, definitely a big difference! It glows in comparison. One big thing I noticed was the lighting on the tree trunks, really shows just how much more indirect light there is. Definitely good for shady forest scenes compared to the old ray tracing.

The quality setting are much lower than the original, in resolution, detail, and AA(although I did use the new robust sampler). The render took probably three times as long however. I look forward to when path tracing is better optimized because it makes a world of difference in quality.