Caught Napping...don't let it happen to you

Started by bobbystahr, September 01, 2018, 10:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Ooops, had a nearly serious senior's moment tonight!

Well I broke too many rules all at the same time and got burgled while I napped earlier tonight. Didn't lock the gate was the prime error and passing out with only the back screen door locked with screen mode active was another, they sliced it and walked in. Got all my ID, bank card and bus card, twoonies and loonies from the table, and my 2 favorite leather covered bics...lesson learned.
Cards cancelled and will install new deadbolts today, and my pal Basil will pick them up for me as I'm loathe to leave a house someone else has a key for, and install is easy
Good thing they were running out when i became aware or I might have been stabbed by a 12" butcher's knife they used to cut the screen.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

That's horrible, Bobby! Makes you feel very unsafe I guess. Never had it happened to us, luckily. Hide your important stuff carefully is one thing to do. Especially ID and backup disc and such, in case they get frustrated and kitbash your stuff.

WAS

Oh my god! That's horrible! I am so sorry you had to experience that. That's just terrible. People really get low to stoop to theft, especially of those that would never and should never deserve it. Maybe a weighted safe wouldn't be a bad idea for some precious small things or leave things in when leaving. They do really work to an extent. Gotta be really desperate to want to haul a 150-200lbs of dead weight. Hell mine was so effective I left it at the last house... Lol

j meyer

That sucks!
But glad to read that you didn't get hurt. :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 01, 2018, 11:17:46 AM
That's horrible, Bobby! Makes you feel very unsafe I guess. Never had it happened to us, luckily. Hide your important stuff carefully is one thing to do. Especially ID and backup disc and such, in case they get frustrated and kitbash your stuff.
Actually this is my 2nd break-in this century, both since my we noisy dog pal passed away in 2009. That time was way worse as I lost 13 years of offline emails and contacts, before I got onto cloud e mail. that time they stole the computers(2) monitors(2) and back up drives also (2)
But like this time, never even touched the guitars...too hard to fence I figure as they all have serial numbers and pawn shops won't take em. But if I go out of town I hide the ones I'm not taking to play in the basement for sure. And the working computer was rendering so they'd have had to make noise shutting it down and disconnecting it.

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

PabloMack

Time to install security cams. They're pretty inexpensive and installation is the biggest barrier. We have an 8-camera system and they cover all of the doors. I've been thinking about some additional HD cameras. Some people just install dummy cameras as a deterrent but ours are live.

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 01, 2018, 02:33:04 PM
Quote from: Dune on September 01, 2018, 11:17:46 AM
Actually this is my 2nd break-in this century, both since my we noisy dog pal passed away in 2009. That time was way worse as I lost 13 years of offline emails and contacts, before I got onto cloud e mail. that time they stole the computers(2) monitors(2) and back up drives also (2)
But like this time, never even touched the guitars...too hard to fence I figure as they all have serial numbers and pawn shops won't take em. But if I go out of town I hide the ones I'm not taking to play in the basement for sure. And the working computer was rendering so they'd have had to make noise shutting it down and disconnecting it.

Pawn shops just aren't that confident in musical instruments that aren't generic. I once got a custom ibanez  (my first) and it had a serial hidden in the floyd rose compartment, put in by hand. According to the Ibanez registry, it belonged to I am guessing was a Korean man, and was commissioned for 15k. It was way to small for me, which I figured sorta made sense with the orderee's name. Sad that guitar got broken by a drunk friend. Sold it to an aspiring guitarist (was REALLY good) that convinced me he could fix it and would keep and play it.

sboerner

Oh man, Bobby, that's terrible! You seem philosophical about the whole thing. Security cameras might be a good idea right about now. Glad you are safe and that it did not turn into a physical confrontation. Possessions can be replaced.

Edit: And maybe time to get another dog. Man's best friend. Sorry you lost your pal in 2009.

bobbystahr

Well I've installed Commercial level double barrel(key both sides)TELL deadbolts front and back and a heavy duty Master padlock for the back gate. Should suffice as long as I maintain the lock at all times protocol. Coincidently as a wind down for the day I always make sure my front gate and screen door are properly latched, and this morning I noticed both the gate and screen door had been used but no one was over after I locked up, or knocked so I can only assume they thought I was a dumb shit and wouldn't immediately go and get new and better locks...Hope they were royally pissed....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Really sorry to hear about this Bobby, but sounds like it could have been worse so I'm glad it wasn't! Here's to your safety from here on out!

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on September 05, 2018, 12:58:18 AM
Really sorry to hear about this Bobby, but sounds like it could have been worse so I'm glad it wasn't! Here's to your safety from here on out!

- Oshyan

Thanks man, I just need to increase my mindfullness as not being in the moment caused me to not lock the gate which in itself would have prevented the incident I think. At my age control of the 'senior's moments' becomes essential as mistakes could be fatal
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

Sorry to hear that, Bobby! But as Jochen said, the most important thing is, that you're OK.
Nevertheless it's a horrible feeling, that someone was in your house!

CalebQ

That sucks, Bobby. It happens though. We're all human, after all. As long as you don't let it happen again.

bobbystahr

Thanks Hannes and CalebQ...I have new heavy duty door locks and gate padlock and a newly inspired need to keep all doors locked at all times. I grew up on the street where I live and am having a hard time with it in the last decade turning into the war zone it is lately.
Never used to have to lock doors but it's been 5 decades since I left home, and stuff changes, often for the worst. sigh.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Ouch!  Sorry to hear that Bobby.  Where do you live anyway?