How to recreate a piece of real terrain?

Started by KirillK, September 03, 2018, 08:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

The Geog Image Map Shader *ought* to be loading that info automatically already. We have the GIS dev looking at it.

- Oshyan

sboerner

QuoteThe Geog Image Map Shader *ought* to be loading that info automatically already. We have the GIS dev looking at it.

Good to know, Oshyan. But if KrillK needs a workaround in the meantime, it really isn't too much trouble to do it manually. Assuming he needs to use only a few of the files in his scene.

Oshyan

Yep, appreciate the workaround suggestion for sure. :)

- Oshyan

KirillK

Quote from: sboerner on October 24, 2018, 04:52:11 PM
QuoteThe Geog Image Map Shader *ought* to be loading that info automatically already. We have the GIS dev looking at it.

Good to know, Oshyan. But if KrillK needs a workaround in the meantime, it really isn't too much trouble to do it manually. Assuming he needs to use only a few of the files in his scene.

Thank you very much Sboerner.    Too bad I need to load almost 100 of NAIP files for a piece of terrain we need.

Would be cool if we could  export terrain micromesh with UDIM or multy texture kind of  UV.     I need to bake the terrain into low poly shell  with normal map and displacement  eventually (for a game distant background being still partly 3d and dynamically illuminated).     And looks like I have no options in Terragen.     Would love to see a  baking render in Terragen.   I bought Clarisse for that thing and it's not working properly there.   I need something suitable for games whree I could influence rays  casted from low poly shell pixels in a necessary direction set by a secondary "cage" object. Not just along normals.
Would be a great feature.

Matt

Quote from: KirillK on October 25, 2018, 12:07:57 PM
I need something suitable for games whree I could influence rays  casted from low poly shell pixels in a necessary direction set by a secondary "cage" object. Not just along normals.

Can you tell me more about this? How would this work, and what are the advantages over normal maps?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

KirillK

I am not sure I understand your question. Or perhaps I am missing some possibilities in Terragen.

I assume it can render a normall pass from a  spherical  or looking down ortho camera.     But for a game I need a tangent space normal map matching the exact low poly shell model  with low poly tricks like  polygonal fins with alpha on the top of a  mountain ridge for example to   mimic complex silhuette   with all the trees. buildings and small details.

Projecting all this from a shperical camera is  working only for very distant flat background    and for someething 3d and closer to main part of a game scene (middleground)  I need   more specific to exact low poly geometry projecting angles.   

ps. Perhaps I could coupe with world space normal colors  to convert them into tangent ones later in soft like Substance Designer   but still I need a specific angles of projection and the "cage" to set it   for evry target polygon vertex/corner.   

I just think that instead of transferring all the complex hi res geometry and materials from Terragen to MAx or MAya  it woud be so much easier to just import low poly shell model retopoed over micromesh  and  use baking ray tracing  to produce necessary textures.