Sunset color palette with different Sun altitude

Started by Gabriel Gunis, September 04, 2018, 10:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel Gunis

Hi all,

I am trying to create a scene with sunset color mood, but I need to have Sun altitude around 30, which is too high to be able to achieve orange tint in atmosphere. This is for a HDR skydome texture render for game engine, not necessarily physicallly correct settings, but should look realistic or believable. 
I tried to tweak TG color setting, but still not getting desired result. Is there a good explanation somewhere, what is happening in the atmosphere when sun goes down, so I could use similar setting but with higher sun alititude?
Thanks!

WAS

Quote from: Gabriel Gunis on September 04, 2018, 10:53:23 AM
Hi all,

I am trying to create a scene with sunset color mood, but I need to have Sun altitude around 30, which is too high to be able to achieve orange tint in atmosphere. This is for a HDR skydome texture render for game engine, not necessarily physicallly correct settings, but should look realistic or believable. 
I tried to tweak TG color setting, but still not getting desired result. Is there a good explanation somewhere, what is happening in the atmosphere when sun goes down, so I could use similar setting but with higher sun alititude?
Thanks!

Sunsets are created by the sun being at a low altitude, and viewed through much more atmosphere than in the sky. In the sky, you're looking up into space with roughly ~60 miles of atmosphere. On the horizon, the ~60 miles becomes hundreds***. This blocks out blue wavelengths and lets red wavelengths through.

For example, when I view the Sunset through the straights out into the Pacific ocean, I am viewing much further than most with mountains and trees, building, etc, and often get deep red sunsets.

Editing the sun and atmosphere, this is what I came up with quickly: [attach=1]

What Determines Sky's Colors At Sunrise And Sunset?

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

Quote from: archonforest on September 04, 2018, 03:17:08 PM
Whow what a great link. Thanks for that!

I believe I posted a most comprehensive website in the support section regarding sunsets. Will have to try an find it. Matt has done a great job translating a lot of real-world physics over to TG with impressive results.

Oshyan

Increasing Redsky Decay should be a good start. Using the RTP (Ray Traced Preview) should give you really fast feedback on any atmosphere adjustments. You can also mess with the height controls (increase them) to make effects appear higher in the sky/atmosphere.

- Oshyan