Volumetrics

Started by nvseal, October 16, 2007, 09:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

The best thing is the isosurfaces because that's really unique. TG2 clouds are good but the Mojo isosurfaces plugin can do some wild stuff. I never used it much though. The clouds were more useful. It boils down to Mojo being so much hastle to use and you couldn't even see a proper preview of the isosurfaces.

dhavalmistry

yes...using mojo itself is a mission let alone making most out of it.....and untill couple of months ago I didnt even knew that it had a function editor....another thing I hate about mojo (and all the other software) is the black UI...its just very unprofessional (my opinion) and has the trapped feeling....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

RealUser

Quote from: calico on October 17, 2007, 12:51:13 PM
What story is that?  Let us in on it.

Quote from: RealUser on October 17, 2007, 12:13:59 PM
Quote from: Oshyan on October 16, 2007, 10:27:14 PM
(...) Unfortunately that work has yet to see the light of day, and it sounds like he's currently doing some proprietary work under NDA so who knows if or when we'll see more from him publicly.

- Oshyan

Hehe, this sound like it's going to be the same story as with TGv1!

Just think about who did some work for a major SFX company instead of working on Terragen and you are on the right path.
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

rcallicotte

@Realuser - Oh.  I must be definitely out of the loop on this one.  Sounds like Planetside is much more robust in talent than I imagined.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

Quote from: calico on October 21, 2007, 08:49:51 AM
@Realuser - Oh.  I must be definitely out of the loop on this one.  Sounds like Planetside is much more robust in talent than I imagined.

same
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

old_blaggard

Well, it's a bit of an open secret.  Actually, it's not even a secret at all :P.  Matt did some work for Digital Domain and is pretty much responsible for laying the foundations to their landscape engine.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Oshyan

Matt worked at Digital Domain for several years, first continuing work on the TG 0.9 ("TGB") engine, adding features like motion blur and simple volumetric clouds. Then he began work on a "next generation" Terragen renderer which became known as "TGD". Matt worked out a contract with Digital Domain that allowed him to take the majority of his base code with him when he left and that is what has evolved into the public Terragen 2. Meanwhile Digital Domain has taken the same code base and put a few other coders onto it to evolve into what they call "Engen", which was used *extensively* (for literally hundreds of major shots) on the movie Stealth, as well as subsequently in Flags of Our Fathers and other film and TV shots.

- Oshyan

RealUser

Quote from: Oshyan on October 21, 2007, 04:00:53 PM
(...) Meanwhile Digital Domain has taken the same code base and put a few other coders onto it to evolve into what they call "Engen", which was used *extensively* (for literally hundreds of major shots) on the movie Stealth, as well as subsequently in Flags of Our Fathers and other film and TV shots.

Yap, and he can be very proud of what he has achieved.
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

rcallicotte

Wow!!  Cool.  This is wonderful news. 

Congratulations Matt on all of your hard work.  I can't wait to see what you do next.  I absolutely adore TG2.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?