Populator going over 100%

Started by dhavalmistry, October 17, 2007, 01:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhavalmistry

WOW...I am having so much trouble with this small project....

I have a rock population in the scene and for some reason the populator wont stop population....LOL.....

its at 146% while I was typing this msg....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Oshyan

Wow, what on Earth are you trying to do? I'm guessing asteroid belt? ;D

You've got some pretty odd settings, and a *huge* populated area here. There is almost no way you're going to get that to populate successfully just due to sheer numbers I would think. I also wonder if it has anything to do with a masking setup you might be doing - I think if you had a mask that ended up "brighter than white" (e.g. values above 1 for color), it might confuse the populator and get you population percentage numbers beyond 100%. But regardless of that I think you're going to have to scale back a bit to get this to work.

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

lol...its 1:35PM here in Toronto and I have no idea what I am making or doing.....

as per the values of black and white....I have them clamped up using color adjust shader....

and yes....I had this idea after I made the circle mask...I tried reducing the planet radius but got weird results when I bumped down the radius to 6000 so for testing purpose......I am gonna have to leave it at default

cyphyr

Just a thought here. If your making an asteroid belt or planetary rings really you don't need to make the whole belt or ring, only the stuff near the camera. In the case of rings once they are beyond a certain distance from the camera a simple image mapped onto a plane should suffice. Working out what that distance is, is an other matter of course ;). Nontheless it should mean that you can have much lower total populations.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

moodflow

LOL, I can just see a PC exploding due to over-populations...   ;D
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

dhavalmistry

Quote from: moodflow on October 17, 2007, 07:56:24 PM
LOL, I can just see a PC exploding due to over-populations...   ;D

I got lucky there....I aborted the populator before it happened....:D

Will

A LOD system for populations would be nice though (not sure if there is one already) but a preset asteroid node would be nice it would be created in the same way you make a lake.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Oshyan

There is already an LoD system in use for population rendering.

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

Oshyan