Terragen shuts down

Started by mhaze, September 07, 2018, 12:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

For the last two days I've left a render running.  When I've come home Terragen has shut down.  it's not the first time this has happened either.  Has anyone else had the same issue?

WAS

Only with inadequate memory in the past. Otherwise crashes happen randomly with node work

cyphyr

I've only ever had it happen if I have been using STUPID sized populations, where the memory has gone through the roof or if there has been a Windows update that happened when I wasn't looking.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hannes

Maybe it's a temperature problem? Cleaning the computer (carefully!) with a vacuum cleaner helped me several times.

mhaze

Thanks all, could well be a temperature problem but I suspect it's windows 10 as it never happens when I'm there and periodically using the computer for something else!

Hannes

Sometimes it helps to restart the computer before rendering a heavy scene and not touching it during the render process.

jaf

Are you rendering at 100% (CPUs)?  Try cutting down the cores/threads you are using.  If you have a core temp software, check your cpu temp(s). 

I use Corsair Link to monitor my system temps and have it set to shutdown at 65C for the cpu package.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

masonspappy

Quote from: mhaze on September 08, 2018, 05:17:36 AM
Thanks all, could well be a temperature problem but I suspect it's windows 10 as it never happens when I'm there and periodically using the computer for something else!

Extended rendering times can elevate CPU temperature to critical levels if dust has accumulated inside the PC. Get a can of compressed air and blow out any dust that's accumulated around PC fans, heat sinks and vent holes.  I've had 2 PCs and a laptop I needed to do this with.

WAS

What sort of cooling system does your CPU use? When you monitor temps how quickly do they gain over fan speed?

Does your fan A) Kick on moments after heat speak B) Respond immediately to heat increase to max speed C) slowly gradient to high speed as the heat generates

mhaze

I have liquid cooling, the fans etc are clean. Temp rockets to near 100% when TG starts to render and you can hear the fans ramp up. I'll try it with fewer cores next time I leave a render running.

WAS

Quote from: mhaze on September 09, 2018, 05:15:36 AM
I have liquid cooling, the fans etc are clean. Temp rockets to near 100% when TG starts to render and you can hear the fans ramp up. I'll try it with fewer cores next time I leave a render running.

Yeah try quarter or half cores. Water cooling like I have mentioned a lot is not good for rendering. Water cools much slower than metal under cool air. That means your system is left vulnerable to heat spikes until radiator cycles water dozens of times and cools it. One thing that helps is a custom heat gradient with a fan tool. Here you can set radiator fans to kick on at much lower temps to compensate.

I have a Micro ATX system with poor airfloor, so my fans go to 100% by 45c just cause I'm paranoid. Never had a heat crash yet.