A Beautiful Panorama

Started by dhavalmistry, October 17, 2007, 11:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

old_blaggard

What a beautiful shot :).  I think it will be awhile before I get the time/skill to do that in Terragen though ;).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

bigben

I can provide a 10m res TER if there are any takers  ;)  Just give me the coordinates. I'm pretty sure I've got most of the data to cover all of the park. 

dhavalmistry

lol....do you have any TERs or DEMs of Canadian national parks???

cyphyr

That is sure beautiful but I don't think theres anything there that should challenge TG. The hardest part would be to get the lighting right.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bigben

Damn, I was thinking Glacier National Park.... nearly Canada   ;)

My downloading "campaign" is continuing...  I finally got all of the SRTM3 files and am currently working my way through global Landsat images and 10m NEDs from the US (59 x 1 degree squares so far). I have some additional data for Canada but not 10m though...

Had a quick look at some data I got to pad the northern edge of Glacier National Park and it's around 25m resolution after reprojecting to UTM which isn't too bad.  If I don't have the specific regions I can get it. The Canadian server is easier to download from than the USGS and they also have some interesting vector layers which could be used for general masks (once I figure out which layer is which).

RArcher

Hey Ben,

The Canadian Glacier National Park (North West of the one in the USA) has 10m (10m Horizontal, 5m Vertical accuracy) data available.  If you are downloading from the Canadian Server the sheets you want for basic coverage are (82N03, 82N04, 82N05 and 82N06)  obviously if you wanted a larger area around the park, you would need additional sheets.

Just curious, but what is your process for converting the data for use as a TER?  Do you use the default TER export options in Global Mapper, or do you customize the terrain spacing?

RArcher

Dhavalmistry, which Canadian parks were you interested in?  They all have varying qualities of data, but it is all available.

dhavalmistry

I am specially looking for PEI National park...but I wouldnt mind others too.....

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

Quote from: RArcher on October 18, 2007, 10:11:32 AM
Hey Ben,

The Canadian Glacier National Park (North West of the one in the USA) has 10m (10m Horizontal, 5m Vertical accuracy) data available.  If you are downloading from the Canadian Server the sheets you want for basic coverage are (82N03, 82N04, 82N05 and 82N06)  obviously if you wanted a larger area around the park, you would need additional sheets.

Just curious, but what is your process for converting the data for use as a TER?  Do you use the default TER export options in Global Mapper, or do you customize the terrain spacing?

Cool  :)  I can only get a good connection to the USGS for a couple of hours a day wihch is getting very frustrating.

bigben

Back at work now.

Checked my landsat collection and I already have up to row 55, columns 10-13 <https://zulu.ssc.nasa.gov/mrsid/mrsid.pl>

USGS is not talking to me at all today so Canada here I come.  Starting with the 82 grid and have queued 2 either side and 2 more rows above. So the offer still stands....  Give me the coordinates for the centre of a 40km square of your choice and I'll make a terrains set over the weekend  :)  The set will include some padding with lower res terrain to extend coverage, so the 40km square is just a guide.  Had I realised there was 10m data earlier I would have done this sooner.... should have paid more attention the last time you directed me to the site. ;)

dhavalmistry

how do I get co-ordinates???

bigben

Google Maps
Centre the area and then click on the "link to this page" on the top right.
Here's the Canadian Glacier National Park to start you off.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.296276,-117.57019&spn=0.623413,1.387024&t=k&z=9&om=1

bigben

I have all of grid 82 already... looks like a good day on the net