Blender saving blank obj

Started by WAS, September 09, 2018, 01:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm having an issue, and I can't seem to find much help. Blender is suddenly writing blank obj files? Has this happened to anyone?

The object literally has nothing in the file. Completely blank. The little console window that Blender has doesn't show any errors.

luvsmuzik

I am assuming you selected a mesh or mesh group to export as an obj? Perhaps you clicked off of the mesh and got a lamp?

masonspappy

While in the window containing the object you want to export, press "A".  You should see a yellow line appear around the object you want to export.  Then export as OBJ file.

WAS

Jeez. I feel stupid.

Most the exporting I've been doing was after Importing, and Blender auto-selecting the object imported. This was my first attempt making something. Figured it'd just obj the scene.

Thank you both!

PabloMack

I just started using Blender again after about ten years. Quite an improvement over what I remember. I'm planning to use it for sculpting and painting. If you were to do a weight map in Blender, would it export to the mtl file or would it require some other file to get it into another app?

luvsmuzik

Quote from: PabloMack on September 10, 2018, 09:44:28 PM
I just started using Blender again after about ten years. Quite an improvement over what I remember. I'm planning to use it for sculpting and painting. If you were to do a weight map in Blender, would it export to the mtl file or would it require some other file to get it into another app?

As far as I can tell, the text file of the mtl is for materials only Pablo. In my past experiences with modelling, I know you used to be able to edit the object file (days of rwx and Ray Trace). These files used to be editable in Notepad or similar text editor. I cannot find an output in Blender that is writing the file for the object, listing dimension, position, textures, etc.

I would search YouTube for Blender questions now, there is lots of help about "how to", especially when using multiple programs. Like say....Blender to 3DMax or Blender to Maya...maybe just Blender output weight map.

I am no expert, I do this for fun and keeping my busy brain active. There may be another better answer than this. :)

WAS

From at-a-glance researching, that seems to be the realm of scripting, which I found this via a couple links from previous questions on other pages: https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/15172/turn-weight-paintvertex-groups-into-vertex-paint

Additionally found this on the blender forums: https://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8080