Wondering About something...

Started by zionner, October 18, 2007, 11:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zionner

Hey all,

I know most people would probably either have no use for a feature like this, or add stuff like this in using Photoshop, but I was Editing my Moon test TGD's and i wondered. Would it be possible to have a function, where it can calculate collisions?

I'm just wondering about this, as this could be really spectacular for things such as Celestial sences.

Sorry, I aint much of a long post person :/

Thanks
Zionner

dhavalmistry

by calculating collisions you mean....blasts??.....like two moving objects collide and break apart??....that would be cool but it has nothing to do with scene generation which is what TG2 is made for....no offence....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

zionner

Well..It depends,

Cause in terms of what its doing no it dosent have much to do with scene generation, but in terms of what it's results are, can add soo much into Celestial scenes

Oshyan

Ah, *this* thread is what you meant. No, a collision simulator isn't likely to be added to TG any time soon. It *might* be possible in a plugin, but you should keep in mind that even dedicated packages that are built for this sort of thing are limited in what they can do. Simulating basic impact and reaction of rigid or soft bodies (cloth, gel, etc.) is not terribly difficult or mysterious. But once you actually try to create breaking effects it gets very hard indeed. Generally speaking you would need to have pretty complex geometry and also possibly involve a particle engine, which TG2 doesn't have. So even if the collision could be simulated, the resulting visual effect would not be terribly impressive or desirable without significant additional work. This is just not something that TG2 is designed to do.

- Oshyan

zionner

Yeah,

Would It be possible or easier, for instead of a realistic collision and impact, for say if were to collide you could make the engine randomly break the object up, Of course A particle system would still need to be implemented, but would it be any easier?

Oshyan

It would certainly be a bit easier if all you had to do was set a "breaking" amount or something, but making the effect look good would still be the challenge. Removing the need to make the collision realistically calculated, including breaking effects, would help but certainly wouldn't make it trivial still. And again it's more the realm of plugins than anything.

- Oshyan

Will

Some perhaps some sort of ability to connect with outside apps like realflow or Houdini or something.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

zionner

Yeah,

For the particle System though, At a best guess...what would be the best method to do that for a plug-in?

I'm asking cause im intrested in getting people together to do it now!

Or that ^^ lol

Will

this brings along troubles of licensing and partnerships though.

zionner

Yeah, Which is why it could be easier to make a plug-in

Also, Right Now (I'm in High school doing exams) and i've taken physics.. So I could Ask around for ways to figure out Stuff like realistic collisions

Will

well the problum is that most things today are made of polygons that are simply shells that provide a shape and are given depth though materials and stuff. With the destruction of these one would need to create new polygons and destroys others. Or one could simply deform the "shell" but that presents its own set of problems. for the record I'm a Junior so I haven't taken physics yet (I'm a sped).

zionner

Hahah,

Well to be honest..If we were wanting to get this anywhere...first we would need to find people who can Code the plug-in, Cause I can't code to save myself..

But I can do things like find out collision Equasions ect...

Will

HA so can I:http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/elacol2.html

I have no idea what that says

Anywho yea I can't code that much either. But the idea is that we would need to figure out the simplest, most effective way to have this work.

zionner

Well, Basicly for Now..We need

Coder's
Researchers and/or people really advanced at maths/physics
Modelers
Ect

Will

and by ect we mean an army.

I'm sure there is an open source way to get come pre-made code (like Bullet or something) I'll have a look around.