Possible cause of TG lockups

Started by WAS, September 17, 2018, 09:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I think I may have figured out what causes some of Terragen's lockups when doing things like "Saving as" or importing an object and such. I was watching a couple freezes today and notice that they all solve themself with the RTP saying "Preview finished". So I did a test and made a change, timed the RTP at 42 seconds, and than did a save as after making another change. The freeze took 42 seconds. Hmm go figure.

pokoy

Quote from: Ysdsogina on September 19, 2018, 12:51:43 AM
We think this is a great channel for providing useful information.
Spam?

WAS, so you suspect RTP to calculate in the background and locking up the UI? It happens for me without RTP enabled but who knows maybe it's triggered even without being enabled. Good catch!

WAS

Quote from: pokoy on September 19, 2018, 03:06:06 AM
Quote from: Ysdsogina on September 19, 2018, 12:51:43 AM
We think this is a great channel for providing useful information.
Spam?

WAS, so you suspect RTP to calculate in the background and locking up the UI? It happens for me without RTP enabled but who knows maybe it's triggered even without being enabled. Good catch!

Could be related to the aborting threads issue, dunno. I have been pausing the RTP when saving/opening projects as well as importing objects and haven't froze yet. Infact I am able to actually see the objects little popup progress box for loading now

Also been letting TG "rest" after big changes like pops before saving/importing/changing more

pokoy

To support your theory, the lags have started with the TG version where RTP was introduced for me, I believe.