Cloud layer v2 - Cloud Quality Above 1

Started by D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet), September 19, 2018, 03:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I have seen some shared Terragen scenes with Cloud Quality set to as high as 8.  I have never set Quality for Cloud layer v2 higher than 1 (slider max), so am I missing out on Quality?  Are there cases where increasing beyond 1 is necessary?

Derek

archonforest

8 is pretty extreme I think. The only reason someone would go higher than 1 is when there is a low amount of light and higher settings can help to reduce noise.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

OK that makes sense.  Reminds me of how you decrease ISO and increase exposure time on your digital camera to reduce noise.

Thanks!

Derek

Oshyan

If you are seeing Quality of 1 with "normal" (i.e. not special effects) clouds, that should normally not be needed. Especially if Defer Atmo is enabled. However sometimes people use clouds to achieve unusual things they weren't originally intended for. And it's great when they do! It's just we didn't think about or optimize for those uses, so they sometimes require more extreme quality settings.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on September 19, 2018, 06:43:39 PM
If you are seeing Quality of 1 with "normal" (i.e. not special effects) clouds, that should normally not be needed. Especially if Defer Atmo is enabled. However sometimes people use clouds to achieve unusual things they weren't originally intended for. And it's great when they do! It's just we didn't think about or optimize for those uses, so they sometimes require more extreme quality settings.

- Oshyan

A good example of that is the recent 3D cloud fire projects some of us were dabbling in. In order to get rid of noise, and also stabilize the flame, settings had to be upped up above what you'd normally use.